intermittant start problem

Please help I have developed a start problem on 'Doris' my hybrid series3/110. The 1st time it happened I went to start her the glow light went out I turned the key and nothing happened except a click which turned out to not be the solenoid but indicator relay. I unplugged the relay she started and then continued as starting as normal (with relay back in) until yesterday. I turned the key as normal and again click but this time all the relays were clicking and unplugging any combination did not work. We tapped the starter and she eventually started (I have no idea whether the tapping helped or she just decided to go.

all I know is the starter motor is not getting power as all dash lights stay well lit and don't dim as if power is not getting to the solenoid?

please help shes my daily drive and I need her

thanks

Baz

Could be starter solenoid (though you'll tend to hear a click) or the intermediate relay (IIRC some of the dash warning lights should be 'tested' when this is energised) or, as is the case with mine, the ignition switch contacts. Still living with mine as I bough the wrong switch unit :rolleyes:

Could be starter solenoid (though you'll tend to hear a click) or the intermediate relay (IIRC some of the dash warning lights should be 'tested' when this is energised) or, as is the case with mine, the ignition switch contacts. Still living with mine as I bough the wrong switch unit :rolleyes:

thanks for reply, dash brake warning light does come on when starting and then go out but when fault occurs it stays on, maybe it's this?

there is a click but seems only to be from fuse box relays but I haven't had chance to lay under it when fault is occuring with someone turning key. Starter motor is 4 years old but vehicle does go off road so gets very wet!

I wondered if there was a possibility of a short in the wiring and the relays enegising via short through earth but surely this would lead to problems and smoke etc??? I'm definately stumped as I need it to occur when I can test to find out whats going on and not when I'm late for work.

so presumably if this relay starts playing up the power will not get to the solenoid and then the starter motor? Could this then cause power to somehow get to the other relays like indicators? like say through earth?