Twin rear shocks on a Tdi disco

freeagent

i'm thinking about fitting twin rear shocks to my disco, it carrys a lot of weight sometimes and as we intend to use it for as much 'overlanding' as possible the existing shocks get quite a hard life...

has anyone done it? and if so, who's kit did you use?

i think wizard does a kit, but it involves welding, and my welding is shocking.. i've seen the QT kit, but not sure if it needs the bottom mountings welding on or not...

edited to say, ive looked at QT's website, nice kit, don't need welding, but wont work if you've got an anti-roll bar fitted... so thats me out......

cheers

m@tt.

ive seen it done by welding two more shox brackets on the chassis & two more lower mounts on the front of the original mounts. not much help as your welding sounds like mine - a last resort held together with hidden bolts.

bloke i know who did it would rather weld than bolt/screw etc hence welding the brackets to the chassis.

does work very well however, handles well & when you drop in a hole OR it just settles rather than slamming down to the floor.

I fitted Wizard's kit about 8 months ago and, to be honest, you don't need the ARB's with twin shocks on the rear. It's quite stiff enough!

I did a tutorial on the Mud Club Workshop section if you want a look. ;)

If it's for load carrying then it would be worth looking at higher rated springs as the twin rear shocks only divide the dampening, putting less stress on each shocker, they don't add to your load carrying capacity. ;)

have done a bit more research, and it seams i cant fit twin shocks to the rear axle and still run an anti roll bar... and i dont want to scrap the anti roll bar...

went to my local main strealers this morning, to enquire about heavy duty springs, and the guys behind the parts counter suggested i tried replacing my regular springs with new, standard ones, as mine have done 105K, a lot of which was towing a horsebox... they said that heavy duty springs are very harsh when the vehicle isn't loaded....

not sure what to do, but at £40 per spring they wont be getting any of my money...

Even for some racers twin rear shocks is too much

Front is more likely to need them.

just uprate the springs and fit good quality shocks like OME,Koni etc even Pro comp will be good enough.

you will find it very hard (bumpy) to drive and the tail end will be very skitty on the road.

you will find it very hard (bumpy) to drive and the tail end will be very skitty on the road.

The hard (bumpy) bit I'd agree with when the vehicle is unloaded Jules, but the skitty back end?

Not in my experience of driving my Disco with twin rear shocks. In fact I removed the rear ARB and it sticks to the road like glue round corners and there is no noticable lean either. ;)

my mates one went twin rear shox as it was cheaper for him to fit more pro-comps than buy expensive shoxs. plus he likes pro-comp, hes broke a few bits & they've never quibbled the lifetime replacement thing they do.

i have to say as far as road manners go, his handles a lot better now then on single shox.