Changing turbocharger on a defender 300TDI

alternatively - unbolt manifold from the block and unbolt down pipe from the turbo and remove. Then spend hours and hours trying to extract broken manifold studs out of the head and drilling out the 3 snapped bolts from the turbo to downpipe flange....

:ph34r:

alternatively - unbolt manifold from the block and unbolt down pipe from the turbo and remove. Then spend hours and hours trying to extract broken manifold studs out of the head and drilling out the 3 snapped bolts from the turbo to downpipe flange....

:ph34r:

yes above is also true but do your self a faveor and get some D-Block from a company called inotec we use this all the time in the workshop and it never fails on manifold studs i swear by it its about 8quid a can but worth every penny

yes above is also true but do your self a faveor and get some D-Block from a company called inotec we use this all the time in the workshop and it never fails on manifold studs i swear by it its about 8quid a can but worth every penny

I could not find this stuff with Google, do you have a link ?

Regards

Richard

A warning I would add, is when you take the inlet pipe off, stuff it with clean rag or paper towel, and secure it opening downwards so that nothing can fall in. I had a turbo badly damaged almost certainly because it had tried to ingest a nut or small stone. Needless to say, the rag must be removed just before the inlet pipe is connected to the new turbo !

Regards

Richard

Hi

Thanks for the reply

I'm putting on a new Cylinder head because my old one is broken. and I also put on a new turbo that's broken to. and a new down pipe.

How dos i seperate the 2 manifolds from the turbo. ?

regards BO

Hi Bo,

I recently renewed the turbo on my 300tdi.

When I purchased the replacement turbo, it did not come with the 2 exhaust side manifolds, only the central part of the manifold and turbocharger as a single part.

Despite being quite aprehensive, the old ones were easy to remove using an engineering vice, and large stilson.

If you do not plan on reusing original turbo central manifold, place that firmly in the vice, and using a well padded stilson, gently break the seal between the side manifolds and the cenral housing.

This should come apart without too much ado. If you do have issues, it is possible to purchase complete replacements.

Reassemble using a small smear of exhaust paste This should seal when engine is run up to temp.

Cheers

P