Automatic kickdown problem

lawrence

My kick down cable is showing too much slack in the engine bay. like its been used all the time even when the engine is switched off. This means that the only way to change gear is to rev the car very hard like 4000 rpm (not good) Ive had a look at all the manuals that I have got and all mention a second adj near the gearbox underneith the car. the issue is after 20 mins of looking I still can't find where to adj. I am no mechanic but would love this sorted s i can pop along to the show at driffield at the weekend.

Nope, there is no adjustmanet on the gearbox that i know of.

On the TDi though you can choose how sensitive it is, there are 4 holes in a row on the operating arms, the inner one would give you a kickdown at lower throttle demand, the outer hole would give you a very last minute kickdown, more severe driving style but less hunting. In either case you need to be totally sure that the kickdown cable is about 2mm slack even with your biuggest mate mashing the gas pedal into the carpet. You should always be able to feel the kickdown click about an inch above the mats too.

the auto box can often doubel kickdown and with the TDi arrangement you can decide how much to engine labours before it kicks down, the second "full" kickdown will hold to over 60mph IIRC (on my V8 it's more like 90) but the first kickdown is a soft change and might not happen at higher speeds.

Fistly make sure all cables are in good nick and getting full travel.

sounds then like the cable is no good. I must have over an inch of slack in the engine bay. As I have no idea or intention to start playing around in the gearbox to change the cable do you have any idea how much it would cost at a garage to have this work done.

If it's slack, it's probably siezed in a permanent kickdown situation, hence the 4K rpm before changing up.

You may be able to free it up, but the best way is to replace it, and make sure it is routed far from any exhaust heat, which can be a killer for cables like these.

Changing it is a bit of a bugger from memory, not having done it, but I have read about it, you need to drop the auto box sump and remove some gubbins to get to it.

Here's something on it:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=42791

:)