Puma engine chipping

Hi People,

About to get a 90 with Puma engine, need max economy, which is better removable device or modified on vehicle (Currently has some LR warranty on it). Who's the best, who to talk to? (Who not to talk to!)Does this engine respond well to re mapping? Better with 750s on? Only tow a caravan once in a while. Located in Devon/Dorset. Any info would be much appreciated.

Hi, I have a 90 puma '07, which has not been remapped and has standard 205 80 16's (michelin) which are really good in snow.

If i keep to 55/60 mph it returns 33/34 mph, 60/70 31/32. The worst it has ever done is 27.5 which was driving all week in deep snow in the Scottish Highlands.

I think it is the best Land rover i have owned--and the heater works.

Regards,

Rocky

• 2 weeks later...

Rocky,thank you for reply, just found it. Pleased to read your figures, I will do some sums at the end of 1st week and let you know. Didn't word my question well, meant to ask if the gadget you plug in to chip is better than getting the on board software changed. Mine came with 750's look like original fitment. Very new to this, will have to get more proficient,

There is a guy called vantuner who is very good, he does a postal service as well as working around london.

He remaps all sorts of engines, but I know he does a lot of transits which is where the puma engine came from. He did my transit for economy, and it is tons better, more economic and more driveable. That is an older engine though so not directly comparable, but it does 30-31mpg and is more like a 110 I guess.

Best to contact him. My link

So much for engine development, my 200Tdi does better than that :P

My 200Tdi returns about 27/28mpg and thats pretty much motorway runs at 65mph (70/30 spilt between motorway and other road driving.) :P

I get 30-31 mpg pretty consistently, country road driving with the odd stretch of dual carriageway.

I guess the superior power and torque from the Tdci is more important in the grand scheme of things, but you'd think a modern engine would be more fuel efficient than an older one.