Koi Carp

Petergg

It had to be you Tony!! :D

Hi Guy,

I am after some new filters for my Cloverleaf cl2 filter and can't find any at the moment, any ideas?

Peter

We have had a problem this year with blanket weed and also a algae on the surface of the water. Our fish are very mature so are coping pretty well.

We normally get our stuff from Garden Machines in Northampton so try there. There also used to be a very good place at Billing Garden Centre (opposite the BP garage). I haven't been down there in a while so don't konw what is it like now. If you are coming up for the show, it's only a 5 minute walk.

Guy

We have had a problem this year with blanket weed and also a algae on the surface of the water. Our fish are very mature so are coping pretty well.

We normally get our stuff from Garden Machines in Northampton so try there. There also used to be a very good place at Billing Garden Centre (opposite the BP garage). I haven't been down there in a while so don't konw what is it like now. If you are coming up for the show, it's only a 5 minute walk.

Guy

Guy thanks will give them a try, my fish are 3lb to 20lb had no algae but loads of blanket weed more than normal.

Yes will be at billing from Tues, be nice to see you again been a while.

Peter

Guy thanks will give them a try, my fish are 3lb to 20lb had no algae but loads of blanket weed more than normal.

Peter

About the same size as most of ours although we have a black one that has been there for at least 11 years and is a faily hefty beast.

I saw be there Saturday and (probably) Sunday. I will, no doubt, bump into you as we do most years.

Guy

I kept koi years ago but don't anymore. I would sometimes spend hundreds on a fish but eventually came to my senses :D

Only hundreds!! my off roading is a cheap hobby compared to Koi :rolleyes: so I tell my wife the fish are hers then when I spend the odd few hundred on my landy and she moans, I mention the Koi and she drifts away :lol: .

Peter

years ago i had a pond back when i lived with parents. we got some granules to help with blanket weed. it killed most of the weed off BUT de-oxygenated the water & killed off half the fish too.

dunno why i mentioned that really i stick to tanks now, easier to get in a flat. i think we ended up fishing the weed out by hand for a few months & in the end it was reduced enough for the fish to eat the rest.

The best way to keep the water clear is to keep the sun out.

Water lillies are excellent for this, the problem is the weed grows before the lillies, if the lillies don't get enough light then they dont grow.

If you can cover two thirds of the surface area, or all of it with a garden shade net, this will reduce the blanket weed and algae and allow the filter to work far more efficiently.

Once the lillies are established they should do the job on their own.

Kevin.

Peter

20lb can i fish in your pond please :D

Until fairly recently I had Koi Carp. I made my own pond out of reinforced concrete. 3500 Gallons and just over 4-feet deep. Some beautiful specimens as well and 28 fish altogether. I tried various gadgets to restrict blanket weed - even one of those magnet thingys that were supposed to prevent it. There are 7(?) different types of blanket weed, and some cures are only effective for a few types, so you could treat your pond and still have the problem - makng it look like the treatment doesn't work. However, there are bacterial treatments now that work better. You have to calculate the capacity of your pond, then mix the appropriate amount in some warm water and leave overnight to grow. You then just add the mixture to your pond (after switching off the UV) My sister uses it in her pond. Green water can be too much direct sunlight (1/3 - 1/2 the surface should be covered with lily or similar), UV of the correct size (you have to replace the tube every year) A settlment tank in the filtration system helps as well. The pump should be able to circulate the capacity of the pond at least every two hours, but not so powerful as to churn the bottom of the pond or flush the contents of the filter back into the pond. I made my own filter out of a 150-gallon container - 4 x compartments, gravity fed into and through the filter, then pumped out. Green water etc might look bad, but Carp are a grubby fish and probably prefer to not be seen. Wish I still had my fish - they would take food from my fingers, and it's very relaxing sitting at the side of the pond in the summer.

Les. :)

I agree with all that you said les, I have had them for 8 years and this is the worst year for Blanket weed, the water is clear, I tried lilly but the fish eat them.

The pond is about 3500gls 6ft at the deep bit in middle and is partly shaded, I have a cl2 Cloverleaf filter which I need new foam for but is still working OK, also have UV light and a magnet thing.

The fish are very healthy and full of colour, they eat well. in the late evening they jump 2ft clear of the water a nice thing to sit and watch.

Regards

Peter

You've tried those large bio filters usually made of a large plastic tank filled with porous clay granules that permit the growth of friendly bugs that chomp the nasties? Not so much a cure for blanket weed though.

Hi Steve,

Yes have a good filter system with rocks and vortex etc.

Have spent the morning with the pond hoover, must have a dust bin full of weed.

Peter