veg oil conversion and extra tanks

I was just after opinions on the above for my 1989 110 (converted to defender 200tdi). I know the options have been discussed before, but i cant make my mind up on what to do. I have all the kit other than another tank.

options as i see it are:

1. Original tank (diesel) and extra underslung tank (veg oil) - either safari equip type (expensive) or fit a 90 underseat tank/110 aux tank (loses the underseat storage plus i have RRC seats so they dont lift easily for filling the tank!)

2. Original tank (diesel) and large extra internal marine type tank (veg oil)

3. Original tank (veg oil) and small extra internal marine type tank (diesel - enough to purge the system each week no more)

There are pros and cons of all of the above. For point 1. Part of me wants to keep the original tank as it is (for diesel) so that if veg oil is difficult to get or if i'm travelling, the standard setup is as it is meant to be. An external tank for veg oil would be fine in the summer, but would it mean the stuff gets too cold and viscous in the cold winter? (there would be fuel line and filter heaters in the system). That brings me onto point 2 - a large internal veg oil tank... sure it will take up internal space, but it could be lagged so that it stays warmer in the winter. Point 3 would make sense, but again, its an external tank and still kind of dont want to alter the original setup.

I can tell you what I have done, not whether it works as my LR is not back on the road yet!

I have left the original diesel tank in place and added a Series III military under-seat tank for the SVO. First and biggest problem is what can you find you can actually buy? I have a Bearmach pattern tank, but I understand they had very few in stock and no one else admitted to having anything. My under-seat tank

Anything under-seat is going to be a pain for you to refuel, so I think you are going to have to look at one of the more boutique tanks, with emphasis on how are you going to refill it once/twice/three times a week.

I was thinking of a 90 tank (under seat) complete with filler in side panel. Same setup as the 90 this gives access to both filler pipes outside of vehicle and use a duel fuel switch over. Not done yet still thinking.

I have the original tank for veg oil and a small 20l tank in the back for diesel.

The only downside is that you will get diesel inside the car and it can smell on a warm day.

When I swap the chassis though, I've got a TD5 tank to put under the rear, which will solve the problems, though not as relevant for you.

I would recommend having all tanks outside the car. The space take up is annoying, and it will get messy inside.

As for the cold, by the time the coolant is warm enough to heat the veg up, you won't have any problems. I wouldn't bother with any lagging etc.

Is there anything you could run in the veg tank - like a copper pipe coil from a heater system run off of the coolant system? or is there no point since i will be running a heat exchanger on the fuel line and the return oil to the tank will hopefully quickly warm what is in there slightly?

Is there anything you could run in the veg tank - like a copper pipe coil from a heater system run off of the coolant system? or is there no point since i will be running a heat exchanger on the fuel line and the return oil to the tank will hopefully quickly warm what is in there slightly?

You could try Wolvine heater pad. This can be stuck on the bottom outside of the tank and plug in for a few hours. As for a coolant method you will have rig a lot of heating pipe to act as a mini radiator and waste a lot of time waiting for the engine to heat up an circulate the coolant.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bring this up again..........

does anyone know of fabricators that might make a tank for me? Preferably in the Hertfordshire or Kent areas.

The safari equip tanks look like they might do the job, but they havent replied to my emails asking about prices (anyone any ideas on price?). I'll give them a ring, just havent been able to so far this week. I've also read a few threads stating that whilst the construction of their products is good, the support/instructions/customer service is not so great.

how big a tank do you need? I have seen the tank from a mini used before and it fitted nice and neat and easy behind the drivers bulkhead.

I was looking at the 60 litre underslung safari eqip tanks, but i've a feeling they'll be very expensive. I think i'm coming round to the thought that perhaps i should use the main rear tank for SVO and use a small internal tank for diesel for starting and purging. If i were to put a valve mechanism in the heater pipes to the heat exchanger and heated filter, i could isolate them from the heat and leave them cold if i wish to run the 110 on diesel from the main tank at any point (i.e. any time getting SVO is a pain).

I take it the mini tank was inside rather than underslung? I need the seat space in the CSW left as it is really.

I have a safari equip tank:

It took 5 months to deliver

they didn't answer emails

when they answered calls they lied about delivery

made more "dog ate my homework' excuses than a schoolboy

since the tank has been fitted the fuel filler panel supplied has been resprayed, ( the original had shockingly carp powder coat ), the supplied pump has failed and all the switch gear has had to be replaced.... I'd recommend you look elsewhere ....