Huge Vibration !

tobyjoes

I've been struggling now for several months with a vibration on my 02 td4, had the truck on a motorway this weekend and got rattled to bits ! Tyres are all new and balanced, the dual flywheel has been replaced yet i still car'nt locate the problem. I've got excessive movement from the gearstick and thudding noise from rear (think that could be diff bushes)engine mounts seem ok, don't want to change things on a hunch, can anyone advise ?

Had a look on sunday and noticed movement on my diff bushes and quiet alot on my vcu bushes (causing a knock)! Is there a rule of thumb on when these are knackered ? VCU seems ok, did the one rear wheel off the ground test and also in full lock and reversed on idle easily.

Did'nt have time to drop props/ vcu out but if you think i have a problem from the above i'll repair all in one go !

I have a Freelander 1, with same problem, even though mine has been converted to 2 wheel drive, so no propshaft.

The vibration is only around 40 - 70 mph on acceleration, when you take your foot of the pedal, the vibration stops and it freewheels without any vibration at all.

Really need help with this, as i dont want to pay a fortune for a garage to diagnose lots of wrong problems before finding the real fault.

PS: just had all wheels tracked and balanced.

Also noticed that when turning right hand bends the vibration seem to be more noticable.

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Freelander 1, with same problem, even though mine has been converted to 2 wheel drive, so no propshaft.

The vibration is only around 40 - 70 mph on acceleration, when you take your foot of the pedal, the vibration stops and it freewheels without any vibration at all.

Really need help with this, as i dont want to pay a fortune for a garage to diagnose lots of wrong problems before finding the real fault.

PS: just had all wheels tracked and balanced.

Also noticed that when turning right hand bends the vibration seem to be more noticable.

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

I would check the engine mounts in particular the engine tie rod on the rear right hand underside of the engine.

I have a customer with same problem - have changed tie rod engine mount as it was worn and have removed whole rear prop - car is coming in next week for both front drive shafts to be inspected and if necessary swapped with known good units.

When driven vibration is worst at 50-70mph and is through body with gear stick moving like made but not on overrun

CB

• Like 1