Tacho output for rev counter?

nicksmelly

Got engine in and running great on Megasquirt. But we have a problem with the rev counter in the racer. We are using the instruments from a V8 discovery and have the tacho wire from the instruments on the W terminal of the alternator, but the rev counter is reading double what it should. Not sure how to correct that, so was thinking about running the rev counter from an output from the MS.

Is this possible?

Got engine in and running great on Megasquirt. But we have a problem with the rev counter in the racer. We are using the instruments from a V8 discovery and have the tacho wire from the instruments on the W terminal of the alternator, but the rev counter is reading double what it should. Not sure how to correct that, so was thinking about running the rev counter from an output from the MS.

Is this possible?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Not a standalone rev counter but the rev counter in a Digidash works with the IDM http://www.etbinstruments.com/DD2_lite.htm this is what I run.

Edit they also do normal gauges and say they can usually match to the ECU/Ignition system, so try giving them a call with the specs of the IDM signal (512us 12v pulse for for ignition fire and to ignore a 64us pulse for key off signal when ignition is on but engine not running - from http://www.dainst.com/info/edis/edis.html )

Edited by zardos

If anyone is reading this looking for an answer I can confirm that a cheapo 8 cylinder 52mm digital tacho from Fleabay works with the IDM signal.

Only down side is that it reads 58 RPM with the ignition on when the engine isn't running.

It's not perfect but for £12 & a bit of wiring I now have a working rev counter when I don't have a laptop in the truck :i-m_so_happy:

• 1 month later...

I've fitted the Megasquirt-V8 kit from Nigel and also got a TachFix from him to get my tacho to work (this is on a rally Manta, running a Rover 3.5 V8).

Can anyone please tell me where the 'ecu' feed for the TachFix should be connected to the MS loom, on which pin?

I had tried running my crappy TIM rev-counter from the IDM signal but it didn't seem to want to work for me, hence getting the tacho-fix box

• 1 year later...

Ended up taking advice earlier in this thread - got a cheap tacho from fleabay and connected it to the EDIS IDM output, which worked.

Seems the tacho-fudge box requires that the ecu has a tacho output mod, which isn't something Nigel does/did.

I haven't tried connecting the tacho-fix to EDIS output to see if that would drive my old TIM tacho but might give that a try one day.

I would like to fit a decent tacho some time but won't buy one if it isn't certain to work in this installation.

With a 5200rpm rev limit, the tacho is mostly there for scrutes to do noise tests at 4500rpm. I really should adjust that to a better (6-cyl?) config...