Defender Mud Flaps

Dear all,

Sorry for duplicating a posting on the forum but the original from 11th May has disappeared. Failing that I should have gone to spec savers LOL.

My 2004 Defender 90 XS has as usual suffered with the normal Land Rover rubber rust and all 4 have come off again. In 6 years I’ve done 3 complete sets and as we all know they aint cheap especially late models ones!!!

I’ve located a company that sells heavy duty rally spec mud flap material. I could quite easily just cut 4 mud flaps one with an exhaust cut out but I would like to get them as close to the correct shape as possible.

Does any one have the correct (2004 spec) full size patterns that they could copy and send to me?

Cheers

landypc

Hiya,

Just thought I would let you know that I have recently bought some material which I am going to use for the same purpose, I got from a local trailer/HGV place a sheet as used on HGV's, it has on the reverse side the bristles that kill the water splatter and is very tough, it looks as though it is tougher than the rally stuff that is on ebay and only cost £15 for a sheet large enough to do two mud flaps.

Cheers Paul

Hi,

It all depends on how much you want to pay. I kept digging and found several websites that sell the material. They range from 3mm to 5mm.

These are the sites:

plastics4performance.com This company do budget material right up to some serious H/D material that world rally teams would use.

jjcraceandrally.com

peterlloydrallying.co.uk

merlinmotorsport.co.uk

templerallysport.com

agmotorsport.co.uk

rsmmotorsport.co.uk

ekmpowershop2.com

hgvdirect.co.uk (lorry spec mud flaps with anti spray mat)

Getting the patterns are the next thing. I’ve looked every where for them. If you’ve got a contact at the local landy parts dept. then trace the front and rears. I haven’t and they got the ump when I asked. So I resorted to doing a Google image search first for the fronts then the rear. A little bit of work involved but I think it’ll work. Just a case of getting a decent pic of the mud flaps and working out the dimensions. Every one that suffers this problem will have the brackets left so you have a given set of measurements to work from.

I’ll keep you posted.

If you any one who reads this and tries it with either good or bad experiences then post your results.

Cheers

landypc

They're not be too tricky to make up to your own dimensions. You can make 'em as wide and as high as you fancy, tyre size may influence this. Exact profile really isn't that important.

I used to rip the rear flaps off my 90 when I reversing up steep banks, so having managed to retrieve the torn off bits I cut the top back to a clean edge, and angled it to suit the brackets at the top. The brackets bolt on to the flap, and as long as you used some nice big washers are pretty secure. Having done this the flap is just short enough to avoid the old problem but still performs its original function reasonably well.

Hi Mickeyw,

A couple of the fellas at the nick suggested that. My only problem is they always seem to fall off when I'm back in the UK. If it happened here in Guernsey someone would most probably hand them in as 'Found property' LOL.

Nice idea thou.

Cheers

landypc

You actually pay for mud flap material ? :o Why ? :angry::blink:

Go to any good workshop and ask for some 25 litre old empty oil drums. They make not only super mudflaps but will also fill the gaps in the rear of the front wing to stop crud getting on the bulkhead outrigger. At the rear you can fill in the rear and for those with station wagons will make a flap in front of the rear wheel to cover the body crossmember.

Keep a pattern. Then when you rip one off you can fit another straight away.....

Hi,

It all depends on how much you want to pay. I kept digging and found several websites that sell the material. They range from 3mm to 5mm.

These are the sites:

plastics4performance.com This company do budget material right up to some serious H/D material that world rally teams would use.

jjcraceandrally.com

peterlloydrallying.co.uk

merlinmotorsport.co.uk

templerallysport.com

agmotorsport.co.uk

rsmmotorsport.co.uk

ekmpowershop2.com

hgvdirect.co.uk (lorry spec mud flaps with anti spray mat)

Getting the patterns are the next thing. I’ve looked every where for them. If you’ve got a contact at the local landy parts dept. then trace the front and rears. I haven’t and they got the ump when I asked. So I resorted to doing a Google image search first for the fronts then the rear. A little bit of work involved but I think it’ll work. Just a case of getting a decent pic of the mud flaps and working out the dimensions. Every one that suffers this problem will have the brackets left so you have a given set of measurements to work from.

I’ll keep you posted.

If you any one who reads this and tries it with either good or bad experiences then post your results.

Cheers

landypc

Add to your list http://www.kaylan.co.uk/ and http://www.kaylan.co.uk/gallery/show/id/1

They manufacturer plastic for rally car mudflaps.

Sorry but I would not normally reply like this.

I know Land Rovers are considered the biggest Meccano set ever however if I wanted Meccano hanging from my car then I'd use it or the throw away bar b q or similar.

I appreciate what you are saying and thank you for your reply but clearly there are people out there the same as me who want to keep their vehicles looking half way decent not looking like junk!!!!

mmgemini don't bover with another kind of reply to this if you are going to start get childish about it just like other comments made on numerous occasions on this forum.

landypc

I use series mudflaps on my 110, only cost about £8 snakes a pair, you have to mod them a bit to fit them to the rear cross member as the angle is different but they do the job and being rubber as apose to plastic don't split like the standerd 110 do or get ripped off (as much).

Hello Mr. Landypc. Remember that on this forum you can tell the software to ignore any posts by specified members. It tells you the post is there and gives you the option of reading it or not. I looked at this one to see what had annoyed you, and I agree. There is only one member that I ignore and I had forgotten until now who it was. :P

Whoa easy guys! What's going on?

I read Mike's reply, and while his methods may not suit everyone, I didn't find them offensive.

In posting a question of a web forum you are open to responses from all types of people and methods. Some you will find yourself in agreement with and other not so.

There may be a degree of tongue in cheek in many posters' comments, remember this is one of the things makes a forum human, and can at times add to its character. There has been discussion before about how far O/T it's OK to go, as well as the level of mickey-taking that's acceptable.

I remember his method coming up in a post from some while ago, and being well received at that time. It all gets down to what you wish to achieve. In the O/P the question is asking for alternative materials to cut one's own mudflaps from, without stipulating what it must look like. Mike's suggestion is just one option, and a cheap one at that. If you don't like one answer, choose another, there are several mentioned.

We all choose to maintain our Landrovers in different ways, some for appearance and originality, and others for pure functionality. But one thing that we all have in common is that we try to maintain them in a way that suits our own pockets or needs best.

Hope I haven't upset anyone with my comments.

<snip>

We all choose to maintain our Landrovers in different ways, some for appearance and originality, and others for pure functionality. But one thing that we all have in common is that we try to maintain them in a way that suits our own pockets or needs best.

Good points well made - he says with his mod hat on.

I read Mike's reply, and while his methods may not suit everyone, I didn't find them offensive.

In posting a question of a web forum you are open to responses from all types of people and methods. Some you will find yourself in agreement with and other not so.

There may be a degree of tongue in cheek in many posters' comments, remember this is one of the things makes a forum human, and can at times add to its character. There has been discussion before about how far O/T it's OK to go, as well as the level of mickey-taking that's acceptable.

I remember his method coming up in a post from some while ago, and being well received at that time. It all gets down to what you wish to achieve. In the O/P the question is asking for alternative materials to cut one's own mudflaps from, without stipulating what it must look like. Mike's suggestion is just one option, and a cheap one at that. If you don't like one answer, choose another, there are several mentioned.

I agree - I read the suggestion as one to improve the defender, using cheap material to protect hidden areas from the assaults of mud and salt. Good things in my opinion.

The suggestion to use cut down series mudflaps is another good option. I would suggest that the cut down drums up in the wheel arch is the way to go, but with decent series flaps at the bottom where it is visible, all held together with some tek screws, or similar self tapper. These can be obtained with black hex plastic caps to finish them. Cosmetically, and functionally a good solution at a reasonable cost.

I've done similar with corriboard - a plastic corrigated cardboard, and it made the underside of the wheelbox much easier to clean, and also reduced the noise of stones/gravel hitting the wheel box.

G.

I have fitted rally spec mudflaps to my D2, hanging off the steel rear bumper. I won't ever buy rubber mud flaps again! They've stayed on through everything that ripped previous mudflaps off and aren't showing any signs of wear.

I'd suggest buying the rally spec flaps or material and cutting them yourself, don't see the need for a template though. That way you could actually make them longer or wider etc to suit. Just my thoughts.

Oh, and regarding Mikes mudflaps, I've seen them and they work, and were free, and don't look at all bad.

The blasted standard plastic rear mudflaps on later Puma 110's are so inflexible people have had problems with metal fatigue where the bolt on to the wing. If it's not that the coating falls of the steel brackets within weeks of leaving the factory :angry: