Steering/handling problem

M&S

Hi all,

I seem to have a bit of an issue with the handling of the Disco. I have swapped tyres around (to eliminate a vibration problem actually) and fitted new rear shocks (fronts to go on later today) but the problem is still there.

Swapping the tyres around did highlight something though, as the rears are higher pressure than the front I think it exaggerated what I have been trying to put my finger on.

Basically every bump seems to have an effect of the steering, not in the way that a steering damper problem does and you don't feel anything through the steering wheel, but the vehicle does move left or right when going over bumps. Only a small amount, and it's more of a drift than a sudden change in direction.

Also I noticed that under acceleration in a straight line it pulls right, and under decelration/braking it pulls left.

Steering feels light and wandering and you need to continually make small adjustments to keep it in a straight line. It feels like when there's far too much weight in the back and the front goes a bit light, then you drive down a bumpy road on a blustery day!

I know what you'll all say...panhard rod bushes right? Nope. All of the bushes have been checked by myself and a garage, and they are all fine, no play in them, no play in anything. Radius arms, mounts, steering, track rods, etc etc are all fine.

I have a second, unrelated problem I think, but I shall mention it anyway just in case it is a symptom of something else...and that is a vibration between 60-65mph, worse when coasting down rather than cruising or accelerating through.

I am sure that is not related and I am also sure it is the front diff in need of replacemenbt again!

Anyway, we/I am obviously missing something???

Help, please

(PS - test drive welcome if you are an expert and live local to Durham!)

The turning under acceleration/breaking is often down to knackered trailing arm bushes on the rear axle, making your vehicle rear-steer!

Shuffling left or right over bumps could well be the swivel bearing preloads.

I'm with Bowie on the rear bushes. I'd say they are also causing the drift over bumps, as the axle moves about.

Swivel preload, or lack thereof, usualy manifests itself as vibration directly through the steering wheel.

Thanks guys, should have said that this is a TD5 disco.

We did check all of the bushes but mostly concentrated on the front, so will give the rear another good looking at. Hadn't considered "rear wheel steering" so was looking in the wrong area. That's why I asked for ideas :)

Cheers, Martin

check the top and bottom ball joints then if its a disco two

also as mentioned rear trailing arm to chassis bush's

make sure that you check the bolt holes on the axle and chassis to the panhard rod for elongation as thats something that i have come accross a few times

dan