Ot Bluddy Computers

Bos

Can I post OT questions on here ? :unsure:

Firstly hello all, just found out where you were all hiding

I've spent all last night and most of today reformatting my computer after a major crash , Norton was indicating that I had been attacked :angry: (probably LRE :) ) anyway it seems to be running ok now but I keep getting bluddy annoying popups from 'messenger service' , I sure someone has said how to stop these before, so please could you let me into the secret before smash the screen :(

Cheers Mark

Edited to add, although it's too late for me now, is there any way to save your favourites list? cause it's bluddy annoying having to try to find all those as well.

MSN/windows Messenger I seem to recall you had to add/remove programs for windows Messenger, then rename all the 'Messenger' folders [in program files?] to eg 'Not Messenger' then you had to edit config.sys, remove the word 'hide' in the Messenger entry; in xp there's a startup utility that allows you to select what should be loaded at startup, untick [or tick] the Messenger entry.

They may have made it easier to deactivate as they got a load of stick for pushing MSN Messenger on people, Monopoly style.

HTH

Regards

Are you up to date on security patches yet? There've been a few security holes in MSN that allow people to spam you like that but as far as I know they were all fixed ages ago.

If you aren't up to date, get it that way pronto - although if you aren't behind some kind of firewall, you may already have had it. One of the technical sites did a test a few months back where they put a freshly installed and unpatched Windows XP machine online (ie. as you'd have to do to get the patches off Windows Update...) and monitored it to see how long it lasted. Each time it was successfully broken into - if memory serves me correctly, in around 30 seconds (it takes hours to download all the patches).

The simplest way to avoid those kind of hacks that I know of, that I think worked for me, is create a 'spare' partition, store a firewall programme in the 'spare' partition, then install windows in the main partition, get the firewall working before connecting to the 'net to update windows as the 1st priority. Removable storage would work as well as a spare partition, for those who've got it.

Thanks for the quick replies, I'm running Norton Antivirus/Firewall ( and I was before it died on me the first time) hopefully it was up in time.

I cant get into messneger at the moment - it won't let me in :angry: