Winch Question

Guy110

Mines mounted on the left inner front arch, which puts it abour 1/2 way between the winch motor & battery, it hasn't affected the operation of my Husky at all & the allbrights are fairly well protected from the weather. :i-m_so_happy:

albright connections

Thanks for this. That was one of the locations I was considering. Was also thinking of somewhere in the cab but wondered if that was too far away.

Guy

Guest diesel_jim

If you use decent cable, like 35mm2 miltistrand, then it won't matter if you mount the solenoid nearer the battery or the winch, the electricity still has to travel the same distance to the winch either way.

Contrary to popular belief, the solenoid won't cause that much voltage drop that you'd notice any performance drop in your winch.

If you use decent cable, like 35mm2 miltistrand, then it won't matter if you mount the solenoid nearer the battery or the winch, the electricity still has to travel the same distance to the winch either way.

That's not what i was led to understand. When i asked this question, some one, Bush65 IIRC, said the electricity flows from solenoid to winch motor, back to solenoid, back to winch motor, then to earth. Hence better with solenoid close to winch. Although with good cable the losses will be greater at the connections tha through the cable.

That's not what i was led to understand. When i asked this question, some one, Bush65 IIRC, said the electricity flows from solenoid to winch motor, back to solenoid, back to winch motor, then to earth. Hence better with solenoid close to winch. Although with good cable the losses will be greater at the connections tha through the cable.

That is correct.

The current flows through the field windings and the armature windings in series. But to reverse direction, the current direction through the field windings is reversed. To have 2 directions of operation, requires the above.

My rear winch solenoid is on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat

the front one is behind the N/S headlamp

both work to acceptable standards and no difference was noted

before or after moving them from the winches themselves.