has been applied, to steering

components or structural

members

RFR:

structural repair by welding to

a steering linkage component,

or signs of excessive heat

having been applied

So not just welding, but be careful with your oxy sets too!

:)

All welding to the steering colums shaft AFAIK is illegal over here. But cutting the worm gear off, filing two flats on the shaft and plugging it into the the female lower half of an old RangeRover column shaft is ok, and once again remove the bodgy welder from the equation.

Bill.

Ahh....so mechanical is ok, welding is out. Thats excellent thanks, as a machinist rather than a welder I was hoping a mechanical 'mod' was allowable!

I'm so confused!

Anyway, a mechanical modification - filing flats, keys, grubscrews etc. - is fine, so thats ok for me. Whether welding is or isnt ok doesnt matter to me now, mechanical I'm good with!

Thanks for that chaps, I'm a happy bunny now!

I'm so confused!

Anyway, a mechanical modification - filing flats, keys, grubscrews etc. - is fine, so thats ok for me. Whether welding is or isnt ok doesnt matter to me now, mechanical I'm good with!

Thanks for that chaps, I'm a happy bunny now!

Is it possible to be confused and happy all at once?

A couple more tips for the financially challenged like myself.

If you trim the old steering box casting for universal joint clearance, you can retain the bulkhead support/steering box mount in standard form.

The old pitman shaft bushing and oil seal which is an integral part of the old steering box casting, is now redundant, but can be hacksawed off and machined or filed to fit in the old worm gear upper bearing bore of the steering box casting and retained with a grub screw. Drill and tap for a grease nipple also.

The reason for doing this is to save on machining costs to make a bottom column shaft bearing housing., because the diameter of the old pitman shaft is the same as the Rangerover lower steering column shaft.

Bill.

I'm hoping that Jon.

My parts will finally be in Sweden next Tuesday. Defender steering column, P38 power steering box, P38 steering shaft.

Those who have done this conversion, how far forward of the axle did you mount power steering box? I've been looking at my Designa coil sprung chassis and the turret mounts look rather wide which will push the power steering box forward.....a lot!

Todd.

Er......isnt it easier just to use a defender steering column?? Thats how I did mine!

Jon

Absolutely, however, although unecessary I want to retain the Series 'bus wheel', and all my searches so far have lead me only as far as 'its possible....', 'mate of a mate' etc, and no proof or part numbers, so as a mechanical mod is allowable, I now know I have a means of doing it!

BVS, thanks for that tip mate, hadnt thought about the fixing point for the bottom of the shaft yet....slipped my mind!

Er......isnt it easier just to use a defender steering column?? Thats how I did mine!

Jon

It might have slipped your mind Jon, but this is an International forum :glare:

It might be easier for you over there with ready access to wrecked Defender parts, but they are not so available here or some other countries. And at any rate you would still need to make a bottom column mount. This waythe std steering wheel,steering lock etc are retained also.

Bill.

If you use the standard defender lower column mounts, then two of the bolt holes line up with existing ones in the series footwell. You simply need to drill th other two through the footwell and it all bolts up.

The series steering lock will bolt up to the defender column also. I appreciate the parts may not be so available elsewhere, but bearing in mind you've got to sourse the steering box from one, you might as well get the column from the same truck!

Jon

If you use a 300tdi defender column then the splines are the same as on a series 3 so the series wheel will fit straight on - end of problem!

Jon

Thank you! thats the piece of information I'd so far failed to find....I've got a list somewhere I've made of the series steering spline details and also those of I think 200tdi disco, td5 defender and a rangy i think...IIRC none of which are remotely similar! Think I know where there's a 300defender.....

If you use the standard defender lower column mounts, then two of the bolt holes line up with existing ones in the series footwell. You simply need to drill th other two through the footwell and it all bolts up.

The series steering lock will bolt up to the defender column also. I appreciate the parts may not be so available elsewhere, but bearing in mind you've got to sourse the steering box from one, you might as well get the column from the same truck!

Jon

I've already got a pair of steering boxes from a defender and a disco, neither donor being a suitable source of steering shafts, but its really handy to know that a Series steering lock will fit - thanks.

Jon

Very true, but my posts are about fitting a common right hand drive Toyota 60 series steering box to the outside of the chassis rail, and in that case there is no necessity to source anything from a left hand drive Defender, but dead RangeRovers for the lower half of the steering column and steering universal joints are everywhere.

Bill.

Each to their own, I happen to like the bus wheelo, hence the search for a shaft to fit it :i-m_so_happy:

The Defender "soft feel, 2 spoke" steering wheel fits the series 3 steering column. So in theory vise versa, the series 3 steering wheel should fit the soft feel 2 spoke Defender steering column ??

I agree to each their own I prefer the smaller, thicker soft feel steering wheel in my series 3.

Todd.

• 3 weeks later...

The Defender "soft feel, 2 spoke" steering wheel fits the series 3 steering column. So in theory vise versa, the series 3 steering wheel should fit the soft feel 2 spoke Defender steering column ??

I agree to each their own I prefer the smaller, thicker soft feel steering wheel in my series 3.

Todd.

Some do and some don't - I think it's the 200Tdi Defender wheel which shares the same splines as the Series, with 300Tdi, TD5 and TDCI steering wheels having smaller, non-tapered splines. Even then, LR's notorious habit of raiding parts bins and mixing specs as major changes are imminent (so there are several hundred vehicles which end up non-standard) means that even this knowledge is no guarantee - the latest 200Tdi Defenders may have 300 steering systems, as happened with axles.