2012 Defender Engine ??

tuko

Does any one know why that the 2012 Defender will have a 2.2D 16V 122bhp motor vers the 2.4D 140bhp that they have today? The only thing that I can figure out is that it's an emissions requirement for Euro5?

Any ideas or facts to the downsizing of the motor for the 2012 Defender ?

Todd.

No doubt something to do with the ever more stupid emissions the Eurocrats force down everybody's throat!

Looking at the Fraud website it would be seem much more tempting if they put the 3.2 variant of the TDCi in :)

http://www.ford.co.uk/Commercialvehicles/Transit/Powertrain

The 2.2 and 2.4 engines come in the same range of power outputs on the Tranny so maybe it won't be a power drop? Be a shame if it is, what with the Puma being the first engine that actually does everything fairly well <_<

The LR website says it is 122bhp in 2.4 form but something I have seen at work also says 140bhp so I don't know which is correct?

No doubt something to do with the ever more stupid emissions the Eurocrats force down everybody's throat!

Looking at the Fraud website it would be seem much more tempting if they put the 3.2 variant of the TDCi in :)

http://www.ford.co.uk/Commercialvehicles/Transit/Powertrain

The 2.2 and 2.4 engines come in the same range of power outputs on the Tranny so maybe it won't be a power drop? Be a shame if it is, what with the Puma being the first engine that actually does everything fairly well <_<

The LR website says it is 122bhp in 2.4 form but something I have seen at work also says 140bhp so I don't know which is correct?

Im sure that LR Special Vehicles tune the TDCi as I had a 130 cherry picker at work which was faster than a 110 TDCi and bang on 3500kg. Transits are available in all different power variants and im sure its a chip/ecu/boost mod ???

Todd, I was talking to guy 'in the know' at Gaydon earlier this month and he told me about the change to 2.2 litres for the 2012 model year - as you suggest it is to do with lower emmission standards expected to come in next year.

what the engine is is part of fords duratorq family which is a common rail unit which has a lot of very clever control systems on it. main features lots of low end torque low vibration and low emission. the units can be tuned via lots of clever elctronics so the transit 140bhp unit responds completely differently to the same unit in the mondeo which is less torque but freeer revving. if it's good enough for ford mondeo, ford transit, mazda 6, volvo V70 and i think one of the jag X-types gets it i guess the guys at lr felt they should get one plus ford will have told them. the model i drove last week was superb so despite the old addage sometimes there is a substitute for cubic inches.i cant see the BHP figure dropping they will just tune it after all the mondeo has 200bhp version as well

Todd, I was talking to guy 'in the know' at Gaydon earlier this month and he told me about the change to 2.2 litres for the 2012 model year - as you suggest it is to do with lower emmission standards expected to come in next year.

Thank you!

Checking at Land Rover tech services we hit a stone wall on the coming change, nice to have this confirmed.

I heard that the change of engine is for fitment of a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). Perhaps it will be the same 2.2l engine as the Freelander2 has - either as a 156bhp or 190bhp...

Chris

The spec's clearly show 122hp.

With a particle filter added, will we get a break on road taxes? ..... wishful dreaming I think.

The spec's clearly show 122hp.

With a particle filter added, will we get a break on road taxes? ..... wishful dreaming I think.

The 2011 models are cheaper on road tax here in the UK as they are classed as commercials - even the CSW. Saves approx £200 per year.

I have been thinking about a Defender, and now not sure wether to get a last 2.4, or wait till the 2.2....

I wansn't going to buy until April/May 2012, but the reduction in cubes may push me into an early purchase.

What do you think?

I have been thinking about a Defender, and now not sure wether to get a last 2.4, or wait till the 2.2....

I wansn't going to buy until April/May 2012, but the reduction in cubes may push me into an early purchase.

What do you think?

Until we can compare the 2.4 & 2.2 'hands on' it's a tough call. I'll keep hold of my 2.4 for now.

Well you can buy a 2.4 now and change it for a 2.2 later but not the other way around....

I find it difficult to believe the 2.2 will be better given it is a smaller version of the same engine, so at best it will probably be about the same IMHO.

Well you can buy a 2.4 now and change it for a 2.2 later but not the other way around....

I find it difficult to believe the 2.2 will be better given it is a smaller version of the same engine, so at best it will probably be about the same IMHO.

I think the honda CRV did the same and went from a 2.2 to 2.0 engines as did the x-trail. Power levels were same but fuel economy went up too.

if it's the same as the 2.2 freelander lump,

As above - it isn't.

My experience of the 2.4 Puma lump is that is has been pretty reliable. Issues - invariably the EGR valves which like all LR EGR valves are ****. There is a sensor on the back of the fuel pump which is a fine way to fit about £200 in a matchbox and seems to have more bother than it should, plus the odd turbo. Biggest weakness is the clutch which is simply not up to the torque, it isn't nailed to a DMF so you can ignore doom and gloom "because Transit flywheels break up" - however you can't ignore the centre of the clutch disintegrating spectacularly as they do quite a bit. The only other problem is they seem to suck hard (ooer missus) and need a lot more cooling air, so both the radiators and air filters tend to block up with grass seed if used in certain off road conditions - in places where Tdi and Td5 vehicles running alongside them are seeing no problems.

Generally I would say they have been better overall than early Td5 or Tdi engines but I'd still choose a Tdi to go to the ends of the earth :)

• 11 months later...