V8 110 mpg

i'm in need of a 110 for distance work, limited budget, like always, i know the fuel consumption on diesels,as i've always had them, but whats a 110 V8 like on a run for mpg, they seem to be a good price at the mo,,

can any one advise please,

all the best,

Bow..

anywhere between 10 and 20mpg i'd say.fit an LPG system and you should get about the same as running a diesel,but you do get the benefit of the V8 rumble.

i'm thinking of doing the same with my 110 200tdi and putting in a 4.2 with gas

anywhere between 10 and 20mpg i'd say.fit an LPG system and you should get about the same as running a diesel,but you do get the benefit of the V8 rumble.

i'm thinking of doing the same with my 110 200tdi and putting in a 4.2 with gas

20mpg sounds rather optimistic. 10-15 would be more like it, especially in a heavy 110.

Yeah.. With Mickey on this one....

4.6 in mine steady 13-15MPG on local trips and no happy noises....

Happy noises.. Sub 10... :)

Link to some older happy noises....

Exhaust manifolds been ported and engine re-tuned since.. Much nicer happy noises now....

Cruise at 60 long hourneys, up to 18. (Giddy heights of 18 MPG.. Yipeeeeee....)

But as it can go faster than that legally, it's usually under 15....

Neil

I read the title and thought

V8

110mpg

In your dreams :lol:

I agree that 20mpg out of a V8 is either fantasy or downhill with a following wind and you're kidding yourself.

Best I have had on mine in the Discovery is 18mpg but 14-16 is a more usual average over a full tankful. I'd expect a 110 to be worse due to being the same weight in the shape of a barn.

Yeah.. With Mickey on this one....

4.6 in mine steady 13-15MPG on local trips and no happy noises....

Happy noises.. Sub 10... :)

Link to some older happy noises....

Exhaust manifolds been ported and engine re-tuned since.. Much nicer happy noises now....

Cruise at 60 long hourneys, up to 18. (Giddy heights of 18 MPG.. Yipeeeeee....)

But as it can go faster than that legally, it's usually under 15....

Neil

Neil - I was wondering if you can tell me where your switch is to turn off the happy noise mode. I'm not sure my 90 has one fitted. Is it a built in feature of your Megasquirt, or is it a standard Lucarse feature?

TIA

18mpg steady on motorway

9mpg round town in middle of winter (short journeys)

As said get gas and you will see a financial equivalent of between 18 - 36mpg however if its for journey work factor in finding stations and tank size to get the range. If I was going the lpg route again I would consider a 130 and engineer in 2 very large tanks.

You cannot beat the V8 rumble again if I was doing it again I'd go for 4.6, run megajolt spark timing (dual fuel map) and have a 50 litre aux tank under drivers seat.

3.9 90, 285/75/16 tyres, road go'er.... 18mpg, if i behave BUT it sounds sooooooooooooo good when i dont (tubular manifolds and ss exhaust system)... so i'm getting about 12 / 14 mpg..

my old 3.9 110 CSW used to average well over 28mpg in overdrive fifth at a roughly constant 70 loaded to the gills with kids and kit! Mind you peg when emoty and single figures were the norm... Current 3.5 sees about 20 on a run.

Neil - I was wondering if you can tell me where your switch is to turn off the happy noise mode. I'm not sure my 90 has one fitted. Is it a built in feature of your Megasquirt, or is it a standard Lucarse feature?

TIA

I switch it off in one of two ways....

Jump in the Diesel Eurobox to go to work.. 110 is very quiet then...

Remove the "Happy Noise Interchange Unit" and it potters around at a gentle rumble, which is a nice noise but not a happy one....

(Oh the interchange unit is my heavy right foot !) :blink:

Neil

I switch it off in one of two ways....

Remove the "Happy Noise Interchange Unit" and it potters around at a gentle rumble, which is a nice noise but not a happy one....

Ah ok, for one moment I thought it was going to require the installation of SWMBO :o

Did you mean 18mpg? (typo?)

Nope! Seriously we actually emptied the tank and put a measured 1 gallon in and got 26mpg (allowing for acceleration up to speed)Weused to holiday in the lake District so the run was from Devon up the M5/M6. At first I thought my calcul;ations were incorrect, hence the measured volume!!!

My 4.0 V8 P38 averages 16mpg on gas but goes a bit further on petrol.....18mpg.

I believe it goes down to single figures when towing a caravan, so I,ll keep using the 110 for that!!

My co driver tows us to events in his 4.6 P38 & averages 14mpg with 2 tons of challenge truck & kit & a twin axle ifor williams on the back. :D

well folks, after reading your posts i decided to stick with what i know, diesel,, :( just bought myself a 110csw td T+T 11 months,£2200, got a spare 200 to go in it when i can be bothered, 18mpg would cripple me, i'll stick to listening to other people burning money on our play days,

thanks all

Bow..

RRC (stripped out and pickup'd) 3.9 (Serp) with MegaJolt and LPG doing 13.5mpg commuting in Leeds (although I time my journeys to avoid heavy traffic). On a long run I get around 15-16mpg cruising at 65-70mph.

All of the above is on my 'daily-drive' 225/75 AT tyres which I admit, look a little lost with the trimmed arches and body lift - but the 235/85 MTs are a bit more thirsty and give a whole lot more NVH ..

Since I pay 69.9 for gas, and diseasal is twice that, my 13.5mpg is the equivalent of 27mpg, which I think is a fair price to pay for the great sound and the great feeling when you floor it. The final clincher for me is that I understand petrol engines and can usually diagnose and tune them reasonably well 'by ear'. With diesels I know the fundamentals, but that's about it.

A diesel 110 will be a great motor and will do everything you want, but I would have gone with a V8 on LPG :)

Roger