Stainless Exhausts

LR90

OK, trip out tonight was fine but suddenly very noisy on the way back. Not looked yet but think the middle pipe has become detached just fwd of the center box. Now a cheap center section from Paddocks will probably do five years (like the last one) but its not bling and I gave up trying to fit the last replacement rear section I purchased as it just wouldn't line up. :rolleyes:

So, what are peeps experiences on the stainless systems? Seems a lot of dosh and I'll either mod or shelve the rear section but will it still be bling and silent in five years.

So, what are peeps experiences on the stainless systems? Seems a lot of dosh and I'll either mod or shelve the rear section but will it still be bling and silent in five years.

HoFS have been quite happy with the services of Longlife exhausts at Basingstoke IIRC. FridgeFreezer has one of their exhausts on his 109.

I bought a Janspeed stainless exhaust off the bay, then cut and rewelded it to fit the Ibex. Feel free to wander over and have a poke at it if you like. It was an easy days work in the shed to make it fit, but I had to use half the original front pipe, because the TGV turbo is different to the 300tdi. Not cheap at £350 or so, but it was a quick easy solution. Quality was good, but the pipe diameter was marginally smaller than the old pipe - though I don't know exactly what that was.

The old mid-box is probably still in the shed if it's of any use while you plan your next move? I'll look tomorrow.

I've converted to LPG, and those fumes are more acidic than petrol,so I'm looking out for a stainless replacement too.

I've found a parts pusher who's selling complete set's for my '85 90 for 375 pounds incl. VAT, does not seem to be expensive I think.

I've converted to LPG, and those fumes are more acidic than petrol,so I'm looking out for a stainless replacement too.

I've found a parts pusher who's selling complete set's for my '85 90 for 375 pounds incl. VAT, does not seem to be expensive I think.

LPG exhaust also contains more moisture, and that will rot a mild steel system out far faster than just running on petrol.

Like Ralph, I had a Double S system on my V8 90 for well over 10 years. Fit was very good, but bear in mild all the flanges are still mild steel. I welded new flanges onto the centre box at both ends as there was so little left of them. All the pipes themselves were fine though. ALso had to replace hanger brackets occasionally, especially the one behind the rear wheel.

I have a Longlife exhaust on my S1 88" - expensive but custome made, and the flanges are stainless as well.

Dad has a stainless exhaust (can't remember which, but one of the normal LR suppliers) and the flanges and hangers have had to be replaced by him a few times in the last few years. One of the pipes had to be replaced and he had to send it back at his cost as well. I'm glad I spent the extra.

I have SS systems on two vehicles (one for about a decade or so),replaced the hangers with fabricated stainless jobbies and ahve had no real probs apart from cracked tubular headers. Only thing that annoys me is the lifetime guarantee - having to have a vehicle off the road while you send back a broken bit for repair is a bit of a pain

We had a Janspeed SS exhaust on a non LR car, never again, it fell apart and rotted out.

Not all SS exhausts are what they pretend to be.

A friend has had several Long life systems made for different cars, they have all been well made and lasted well.

I was dubious about getting an stainless exhaust, but i went ahead and got one anyway due to bits i had read on here. I went to these guys in kent - http://www.powerspeed.co.uk/ after i had red Hybrid From Hells write up on them in the fabrication forum. They put a 2.5 inch diameter system on my tdi with two straight through silencers. The exhaust is great quality, performance was better (more low down grunt) it was quieter than the old exhaust with a silencer removed as well. Lifetime warranty (i guess as long as they are still there) as well.

I had a Longlife(Leeds) exhaust made for the P38 RR. Very nice exhaust, excellent service and quality workmanship.

All at a very competetive price for a custom build including 2 SS sports cats.

I had a custom stainless exhaust system made up for me by these guys:

http://www.pipewerx.com

One silencer and side exit just infront of rear wheel through the body, very smart and a slightly bigger bore. Sounds GREAT!

Cost me a total of £300 and took them about 2 hours, all stainless no mild steel involved at all, been on the 90 about 3 years now still looks good as new.

For the Dutch and North-western German forum users:

I've fitted my Dodge W200 with a 309 SS exhaust by these guys: EPS uitlaten in Hoogezand

It came with a 3' silencer, it had a deep subdued rumble like a ship when idle and on low revs, and sounded like the ships horn roaring at 4000 rpm :i-m_so_happy:

It was designed trough the backside bumper, when cold they where flush with the bumper, warm they protruded about 3 cm

If i remember well it costed me 1200 guilders (€550)back in 2001

But they do anything, I've found also a Defender 110 on their site

Stainless can sound a bit tiny and also it doesn't have an infinite fatigue life, I'd cracked a header and all the original mounts snapped off long ago.

If you want it to stay shiny you need to keep polishing it too! I'm not sure what grade was used on my stainless system (rimmer's) but it has gone quite scabby underneath. Not flaky rust but surface rusty.

Here's the direct link for Longlife Basingstoke:

http://www.fastfitservicecentre.com/

Top chaps indeed, I didn't appreciate how good they were until Nige cast his beady eye under my truck and got all hot under the collar of his anorak :lol: knowing how much time he spent obsessing over his system.

Stainless can sound a bit tiny and also it doesn't have an infinite fatigue life, I'd cracked a header and all the original mounts snapped off long ago.

If you want it to stay shiny you need to keep polishing it too! I'm not sure what grade was used on my stainless system (rimmer's) but it has gone quite scabby underneath. Not flaky rust but surface rusty.

Indeed the pipes of my system don't really look like stainless anymore, just a discoloured rough surface, not rusty though. The silencers however were a near polished finish when they were new. Now they have a yellowy gold tint to them and would still be shiny if it wasn't for all the scrapes from off roading.

Another vote for longlife here. We have one in southend now and they have muddy toys with MegaSuirt as well so they pay attention to keeping the system out of harms way. Not the cheapest but TBH worth the cost. The only thing that goes cheep is a budgie.. laugh.gif

• 7 months later...

The Landy has been out to the guys in Hoogezand and been fitted with a full inox exhaust from headers on.

You can wait while they're at it, several mufflers are tried to fit the tone it should humm, from whispermode to That's definitively too loud.

Sounds good, looks good but the main reasonsfor fitting this one are that SS 304 is more resistant against the acidic fumes from the LPG gasses and due to the under-build LPG tanks they've choosen an alternative route to avoid them

Mine might be SS409 then. Its been under the racer since we bought it back in the early 90's. It has surface rust thats like thick dust and goes down your neck. I was waiting for it to fail until I realised it must be a fatigue resistant stainless :)

Both my landys have stainless flexible pipe welded in to take the load off the back pipe.

The transit van was awful for eating exhaust silencers and pipes. Stainless has sorted out the back part. Only the front pipe to do.