Boom bang-a-bang

GBMUD

Found on a BOAT on Salisbury Plain today, what are these dangerous looking things? John and I found two within 10m of one another - god knows what we had just driven over in the long grass as these were discovered in an open area at the end of the BOAT. :o:unsure:

54285.jpg

54286.jpg

Chris

ATE SALISBURY PLAIN 01980 674 763 from this website

Sadly that number just gives details of what is open and where. I have left voicemail at 01980 620819, apparently the complaints line, so I hope they will get that in the morning. If anyone can offer a number that will be answered today I will try that.

Chris

Guest diesel_jim

looks like 88mm mortars. old ones.

there's thousands out there, still, better off to report it though. take a grid ref and leave that on their answerphone.

there's thousands out there, still, better off to report it though. take a grid ref and leave that on their answerphone.

Done.

Not much for scale in the pictures, these looked more like 50mm to me. John's girlfriend may have some better pictures. The byway was very overgrown, we had to drive on the GPS to follow it through long grass - I doubt anyone has driven up there for years - needless to say, we drove back in our original wheel tracks! It was a dead end BOAT.

Chris

Guest diesel_jim
Done.

Not much for scale in the pictures, these looked more like 50mm to me. John's girlfriend may have some better pictures. The byway was very overgrown, we had to drive on the GPS to follow it through long grass - I doubt anyone has driven up there for years - needless to say, we drove back in our original wheel tracks! It was a dead end BOAT.

Chris

Is that the one near the Bustard that has about 100yards of no RoW, then strarts again?

nice little drive that. i remember when it was one right through.

Is that the one near the Bustard that has about 100yards of no RoW, then strarts again?

nice little drive that. i remember when it was one right through.

No. We did half of that one, Honeydown Bottom, from west to east and back. We resisted the temptation to "jump" the gap. :)

The shells were discovered at SU114501.

James, they may have been used but I do not think that they have done the BANG! thing yet.

Chris

It scares me that similar things are available on Ebay.

We had a good day out, drove a couple of lanes that weren't evident on the ground and ended up bouncing through gorse, long grass and 2ft craters in places. When we went up to the zig-zag testing ground (which is marked as a railway(?) on the map at the grid ref Chris gives above) I stopped and then Chris noticed the round above, on the floor in front of my car :o

On both dead-end byways the signs suggested the end of the ROW is marked by a sign - in both cases we couldn't find anything (and didn't want to search too extensively!).

Guest diesel_jim
No. We did half of that one, Honeydown Bottom, from west to east and back. We resisted the temptation to "jump" the gap. :)

Yeah... i always resist that little gap...... :rolleyes::rolleyes::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Indeed, some photos:

DSC00014s.jpg

DSC00011s.jpg

160720061238s.jpg

There were wires all over the floor here - wire-guided missiles or some kind of monstrous PA system for rock concerts perhaps.

160720061239s.jpg

We didn't continue to bridge the gap here, tempting though it was. No such signs were evident at the ends of the two other dead-end byways we drove although as I said, we didn't go looking too hard.

160720061242s.jpg

Exploring a byway which wasn't at all evident on the ground.

Spoke to Lt Col Nigel Linger(sp?) just now. He says that they have never used high explosive rounds up there and agrees that they may be illuminated mortar rounds and, indeed, quite safe. He was interested to hear about our day driving "lost" rights of way but is sadly keen to see a lot of them extinguished - particularly the "tails" of lost rights of way.

Chris

I can see why he would be keen, since it (may be) his neck on the line when someone heads out across the Plain (perhaps mistakenly thinking they're on a ROW) and then leap high into the air before scattering themselves and their car over a wide area. There's quite a conflict of interest allowing public access to a military impact range. There's no rights of way across Bovington...

Spoke to Lt Col Nigel Linger(sp?) just now. He says that they have never used high explosive rounds up there and agrees that they may be illuminated mortar rounds and, indeed, quite safe. He was interested to hear about our day driving "lost" rights of way but is sadly keen to see a lot of them extinguished - particularly the "tails" of lost rights of way.

Chris

Hmmm, thought these had been already removed from the definitive map. I know the MOD made an application four or five years ago to do this. Must check out my paperwork.

The shells were discovered at SU114501.

James, they may have been used but I do not think that they have done the BANG! thing yet.

Chris

Use this route - don't turn back at the 'End of Right of Way' signs. This route is marked as a through road on old maps. Also you may notice half way between said signs off to the north (the actual definitive line), there is an old byway finger post pointing in both directions.

Use it or lose it!