zf4hp22 lock up too soon

edwardbahaw

Hi all

I have a question about the zf4hp22 transmission on my 300tdi discovery.

It works fine except that the torque converter seems to lock up too soon. I know it is supposed to lock at 50mph however mines seem to do so at 47mph.

What can be responsible for this and what can I do to address it?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all

I have a question about the zf4hp22 transmission on my 300tdi discovery.

It works fine except that the torque converter seems to lock up too soon. I know it is supposed to lock at 50mph however mines seem to do so at 47mph.

What can be responsible for this and what can I do to address it?

Thanks in advance!

In the Range Rovers, lock-up is variable, depending on temperature etc. The difference between 47 and the official number of 50 seems too small to really represent a problem. I don't think it would effect your driving either (in fact, I wished mine would lock up sooner rather then later!), and if it should, just put down your foot a bit harder to keep it from locking. ;)

I'm running 315/70/17s and it still locks up at an indicated 54mph - just as it did on 265/70/17s and 235/70/16s. The trouble is that the indicated 54mph is actually about 62mph - checked with a Road Angel, TomTom and an iPhone.

Which is the next step?

Diffs or a transfer box? Any 1st hand solutions out there?