4 pin diff

Just to say the Disco 2 doesn't have a 4 pin diff, so don't go bidding on any of those ;)

I have, however, been looking at a P38 4 pin to fit to my D2 and couldn't see why not. Just need to weigh up if I want some sort of locking/lsd diff in the front or not. If not I'll be going for a P38 diff.

p38 4 pin diffs will fit, but only the centre of it. buy a complete 4 pin p38 diff, remove your diff, remove the diff centre and crown wheel, unbolt crown wheel form the centre part. remove p38 centre and crown wheel, unbolt crown wheel. bolt your ORIGINAL crown wheel with your bolts to the p38 centre, fit in to your original casing. a small amount of grinding may be required if the bolt heads catch on the casing, but you will see this as you offer it up. remember if you do need to do any grinding remove the pinion bearing first. i made a 4 pin like this for my 80, 3 years later havnt touched it.

hope that helps

Eh ?

I've been looking at this as a potential low cost option for peeps who wnat a cheap 4 pin

upgrade, and its a big no no re fitting without some serious machining (pics to follow) so

I am abolutely amazed that you can say you just 'drop one in' ?

I'm playing with a P38 4 Pin into a metric casing with 3.54 CWP

Nige

I know (and have fitted) locking diffs meant for a Defender can be used in a P38a axle if you add a spacer ring between the diffflange and the crownwheel. So I would think swapping the other way around would invole quite some modifications to get eveything lined up properly...

all it required was grinding to allow the bolt heads to clear the casing, i have no pics of it as its in the motor now, but i assure you it is in there, it was an evenings work. have you tried fitting the p38 crown wheel on it?

This sounds like a right load of bodgamatosis!

For starters its not the crown wheel bolts that foul on the casing, it's the strengthening ribs on the crown wheel flange. These need machining accurately back to clear. Secondly you need a chamfer on the outer edge of the crown wheel flange and thirdly and perhaps most importantly don't mix crown wheels from different diffs or it'll whine like a banshee.

This is proper pikey Imho and what Nigel is trying to offer is a properly machined well fitting piece of kit. I build his diffs for him and have been building differentials proffessionally for many years now and i absolutely will not put together a bodgeroo.

Kindest regards Steve

For starters its not the crown wheel bolts that foul on the casing, it's the strengthening ribs on the crown wheel flange. These need machining accurately back to clear. Secondly you need a chamfer on the outer edge of the crown wheel flange and thirdly and perhaps most importantly don't mix crown wheels from different diffs or it'll whine like a banshee.

This is proper pikey Imho and what Nigel is trying to offer is a properly machined well fitting piece of kit. I build his diffs for him and have been building differentials proffessionally for many years now and i absolutely will not put together a bodgeroo.

Kindest regards Steve

i fitted the crown wheel off the p38, its narrower, and fitted fine, it doesnt wine at all, i fitted this as a cheaper way of getting myself a 4 pin, i cannot afford machining costs etc, it is not a bodge, its been in there 3 years now and has never played up at all (touching wood) the question was asked will it fit, yes it will and without spending alot of money. if you want to go to the extent of that cost that is up to you, i just used what resources i have to do it cheaply, surely that is what competition is all about, ive done everything on my 80, and and proud to say i have, it is not bodged as you put it, any one can buy a machined 4 pin. i just prefer to make the best of what i have and save money in the process. and as future reference i had biult it after reading a thread on this forum.

Kindest regards Steve

i fitted the crown wheel off the p38, its narrower, and fitted fine, it doesnt wine at all, i fitted this as a cheaper way of getting myself a 4 pin, i cannot afford machining costs etc, it is not a bodge, its been in there 3 years now and has never played up at all (touching wood) the question was asked will it fit, yes it will and without spending alot of money. if you want to go to the extent of that cost that is up to you, i just used what resources i have to do it cheaply, surely that is what competition is all about, ive done everything on my 80, and and proud to say i have, it is not bodged as you put it, any one can buy a machined 4 pin. i just prefer to make the best of what i have and save money in the process. and as future reference i had biult it after reading a thread on this forum.

Fair play to you, but don't expect someone who is paying for this work to be done to be happy with mis-matched crown wheel and pinions! Its not right! This is the solution that Land rover have done to get the 4 pin to fit in a long nose diff BUT they are matched ie: lapped in gear sets that are supposed to go together.

As an aside: you do gain a nice 4 pin diff which is quite reliable but you also gain a weak crown wheel that can't be pegged.

You were lucky that your diff does not whine, this is the exception rather than the rule.

But wtf do i know :rolleyes:

Steve

• Like 1

^^^

I am amazed :unsure:

What you have done is a bodge, but a very very cheap and cheerfull way of getting yourself a 4 pin diff.

I say it is a bodge as CWPs are made as matched sets, and what you have done is mix a long nose Pinion (with

wear from its mated Crownwheel) with a P38 short nose Crown wheel, (with wear from its matched Pinion)

shoved them together with a bit of grinding and "Hey Presto" :)

I am tuly amazed it doesn't wail and moan, maybe your one of those lucky peeps ! - but cheap n cheerful it

maybe its really not a great idea, and defo something I would aviod, but no way could anyone do what you have

done for the money - so top marks there - I like cheap :D

Also a point to note is P38 CWs are thin as a thin thing, not bad on a short nose diff, but the 3.54 CW is weak

on a std diff, I think a combo Mix as you have is even weaker, but then again, if / when it goes bang it doesn't excatly

owe you a lot :lol:

I am looking at something that is more commercial, sellable to customers and as such has to be a proper solution

yours is clever in so much as thinking outside the norms, and costing slightly moe than s*d all, but in the niceest

way it is a bodge, but now I underdtand why I was puzzled when I have been machining lumps big time and still more to go :rofl:

Nige