On Board Air reservoir

Mark

I have been thinking about OBA again. I am planning something based on an air con compressor and wondered what sort of size reservoir I should be looking at.

I want the OBA setup to run the odd air tool (rattle gun), inflate tyres and air beds, and possibly at some point power an ARB (or 2).

I have aquired a couple of very nice stainless air tanks but they are only 2 litres each, so using both would give me 4 litres, but this dosn't really seem enough, so I wondered what everyone else is using...

Cheers

Mark

i'm using a fire extinguisher from a challenger tank... i reckon about 10 litres, its a bit heavy, but its rated to 3300Psi, so no chance of it exploding on me!

why don't you look at either fire extinguishers, HGV air tanks, or check out Matt Savages on-board air tanks...

i reckon you want at least 20 litres if you want to run a rattle gun....

I have a truck air brake tank, capacity about 16 litres. With air con based onboard air, it'll run a rattle gun all day long. Best thing is they're dirt cheap from an old truck and often have mounting brackets with them.

I agree that a truck brake reservoir is the easy way to go but if space is a problem & you need a long skinny tank, then think of a length of steam pipe with welding caps on. Not hard to let in the required inlets/outlets with some threaded bosses (also available from steel merchants in BSP etc). if your welding isn't up to it then get it welded by a pro. This stuff is desined for pressure & comes in a variety of diameters from quite small, ie 1" up to 6" plus. You'd need a really long one in the smaller diameter to get enough capacity but the larger diameters will give a good capacity with a modest length. Its generally possible to buy brackets to hang this stuff from, your nearest steel merchant should be able to give you a start for this sort of thing. they will normally sell caps as an "each" & may be able to suggest someone who uses the required tube diameter to go & buy / scrounge an off cut from. HTH

Steve

I like disposible party balloon tanks

my logic is

- Free (any kids party place will gladly give you as many as you can carry)

- light (1Kg)

- Free

- Safe (no internal corrosion and a safety blow off valve

- Free

- 20ltrs capacity, enough to re-seat beads

- Free

oh and they dont cost much either :)

well i'm going with a blimp for me

you can have it tethered above a vehicle so ti won't get caught in anything, and it will even lower your ground pressure as long as you fill it with helium. If you are really clever you can fill it with hydrogen, convert your engine and have miles of fuel each day- it will even run your air tools at the same time, and allow you to light a fire!

blimp all the way.

well i'm going with a blimp for me

you can have it tethered above a vehicle so ti won't get caught in anything, and it will even lower your ground pressure as long as you fill it with helium. If you are really clever you can fill it with hydrogen, convert your engine and have miles of fuel each day- it will even run your air tools at the same time, and allow you to light a fire!

blimp all the way.

now thats cool :)

add a rectal schrader valve and keep the blimp topped up during steep descents - might need a one way valve or dealing with back pressure could be challenging :o