A Frame Ball Joint

. . . But to be a proper Landy owner you have to do it at least once with a big hammer :D

Mo

+1

I wouldn't pay someone to fix my LR's though.

I've owned the 90 that this ball joint is from for 20 years and nobody works on it but me :rolleyes:

Second time I've done it on this vehicle.

The branded pattern part I've just taken out lasted longer than the original one fitted by the factory.

Paul

i did like has been said already.cut the ears of the ball joint off,turned it upside-down and sprayed it with wd-40 and left it overnight.took a few blows to knock it out but it only took aboit 10 mins to change

YOu must be lucky. I had once a TRE (Track Rod End) in oil for a week and bashed the hell out of the track rod. Took a day to make it budge,,,,:unsure:

You lot need bigger tools :lol:

Last A-frame joint I changed I used work's 60 ton press, having sawn off the 'ears'. Wound it up to 40 tons before a huge bang scared the cr4p outta me and left a bit of a hole in the concrete!

I haven't worked there for some years now, hope I don't need to change another joint for a while :unsure:

You lot need bigger tools :lol:

Last A-frame joint I changed I used work's 60 ton press, having sawn off the 'ears'. Wound it up to 40 tons before a huge bang scared the cr4p outta me and left a bit of a hole in the concrete!

I haven't worked there for some years now, hope I don't need to change another joint for a while :unsure:

I do fidget with baby hammers and stones I guess

wink.gifohmy.gif Now we are talking.... someone told me `Get a 20-ton press and your troubles are over` Now it has turned out to be 60? ohmy.gif holyupabovesad.gif Lucky your toes were not around!!

• 1 month later...

I've got a noticeable knocking sound coming from the back of the Landy when I pull away and sometimes when I turn and slow down.

I know it can be a number of things, but I want to rule out the ball joint. (If I leave it, what's the worst that can happen?)

Can someone tell me what I should be paying to get a mechanic to change this for me, as I don't have the time, tools or patience to do this myself. I've bought the replacement joint, so I just need the labour costs.

Thanks

I've got a noticeable knocking sound coming from the back of the Landy when I pull away and sometimes when I turn and slow down.

I know it can be a number of things, but I want to rule out the ball joint. (If I leave it, what's the worst that can happen?)

Can someone tell me what I should be paying to get a mechanic to change this for me, as I don't have the time, tools or patience to do this myself. I've bought the replacement joint, so I just need the labour costs.

Thanks

I did mine in an hour with hand tools, a vice and some swearing - so I would expect you to pay an hours labour for a garage with air tools and a press. They will caveat it with "as long as it all comes apart OK"...it's a Landy, they almost never come apart OK. :rolleyes::D

If you leave it, it will get more and more clonky, and eventually you will feel like the back end of the car is a bit disconnected (feeling) from the front.

any more than an hour and your being conned.

there's only 4 bolts to undo(and the balljoint nut).

i think it took me about 10mins to replace the balljoint when i did mine.

:unsure::blink: This must be the world record for an A frame replacement. Let's get a moderator to register this!!!;)

• 2 weeks later...

Changed mine last year and used cutting discs, drills and hammers (various) to remove it fromits housing. Bought mine from Simon Services in Wakefield for about £14ish and he kindly pressed new one in FOC. Recently have been getting a lot of banging when taking up drive and when changing gear and thought my rear axle was goosed. Changed A-frame bushes this weekend and found a frame joint has loosened quilte a lot, so fitted an extra washer then castlated nut. All ok now but wondered why it loosened so much?

Althoughgh it's not a common piece of kit, I have a fly-press. It's only rated at 6 ton - but has never failed to get anything out of anything else - or put it back in for that matter!

Because you can impart a shock into whatever you are pressing it can deliver a much bigger punch than the rating would imply.

Mine is pretty small and bench-top mounted - but I would never be without one! It has beaten a supposedly 50 ton hydraulic press in removing a thing from another thing.

Because they are unbelievably heavy they seem to change hands for peanuts.

Si

My Dad has two of the larger fly presses that he was given when his old workplace moved premises and I can certainly vouch for their weight .... made the 300 tdi engine seem very light by comparison!

I know where I'll be heading when it's time to change my joint :-)

I have been fighting my radius arms last week and the 20 tonne press could not help me. I was just scared something might go wrong so I did not press TOO hard. The panhard rod bush came off with a BANG.. Nearly jumped outa my skin.....:o

post-7610-0-85805800-1306930453_thumb.jpg

post-7610-0-07840100-1306930456_thumb.jpg

post-7610-0-82214300-1306930457_thumb.jpg

post-7610-0-01782000-1306930460_thumb.jpg

I have been fighting my radius arms last week and the 20 tonne press could not help me. I was just scared something might go wrong so I did not press TOO hard. The panhard rod bush came off with a BANG.. Nearly jumped outa my skin.....:o

Reading this thread makes me really appreciate my series!

In fact, reading every other vehicle forum makes me appreciate my series!

buy it in the carrier from Gwyn Lewis (~£90) and pay for an hours labour to fit at any garage.

The part most people get hung up on is fitting the new joint into the bracket so surely if you have bought the Gwyn Lewis kit and then take it to a garage to have the work done you are paying extra for a job that any garage could have done at minimal cost anyway (any workshop will have a suitable press)? The only difference I can see is that you will have effectively paid twice but will have a grease nipple.

Personally I have done it at home without the need for a press but if you want to do it as quick & easy as possible then the GL kit is the way to go, that makes it a very quick & simple DIY job.

Cost me £30 at a local friendly garage to change all the rear suspension bushes last month, I dropped off the arms/joint and new bushes/joint and picked it all up all pressed in :)

Given the choice of £30 or faffing for hours with hammers/blowtorches/hacksaws I'll take £30 every time! :P