Adjusting draglink

Hi, I'm in really need of some expert guidance/advice regarding the front steering rods adjustments. I have bought a new panhard rod and draglink (both adjustable). My problem is that i don't know how to set up the drag link to the correct length to fit the drop arm. I know that the drop arm has about three and a half turns. Another problem I'm facing is that i don't know how to adjust the panhard rod to align the front axle correctly. Thanks in advance, hope to hear from you soon.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

Panhard rod

Task panhard rod off of vehicle and line up against adjustable version to set the correct length, you can also measure between the two hole centres for more accuracy.

Drag links

The same principle applies really. If you haven't changed the steering box drop arm then the two drag links can be set up against the length of the existing ones.

To adjust these you will need to loosen the lock nut thats tighten against the drag link tube, then you can wind the track rod end in or out. Obviously one side is a left hand thread so that you can adjust then on the vehicle. You want to see the same amount of thread at each end, this tells you that the drag link is in the middle and that you have more room for adjustment.

It maybe worth getting the tracking check by a garage once you have fitted the new links.

Thanks

Steve

Oh ok, so for the drag links, you've removed the track rods to fit to the new drag link, correct? So as you say you cant measure the old one.

I belive under the steering box is a marker hole to line up with a slot in the drop arm, this should give the centre of the steering box so that by setting the wheel parallel with each other you should be able to get it set pretty accuratly, but would hurt to get it checked by a garage.

There a DIY Tracking link here from the Tech Archive.

With the Panhard rod I guess you need to find the centre line of the chassis and axle, line them up and then measure the hole centres to set the length of the panhard rod or adjust it on the vehicle.

Very handy Tech Archive Here

Steve