Wanted - roadbook for Salisbury Plain

jericho

Help,I am looking for a road book,in tulip diagram form,which covers Salisbury plain.

I need to practice using tulip diagrams for an upcomming event.

I believe Total Off Road magazine published one a year or two back.

Any roadbooks - on or off road - in Wiltshire or Gloucestershire would be good.

Thanks, Jerry.

Do you want to drive them or just plot them?

I have a few old* SCOR randonee road books that are a mixed of tulps and grid refs, but the status of the lanes has changed so much I wouldn't guarentee that you can drive them still.

* about 5 years old!

There are so many "public" and "military only" tracks on SP that I would never soley rely on a roadbook.

To be sure that you are on the right track then a GPS based system is essential IMHO alongside a 1:25K OS map :ph34r:

Also need to check with Wilstshire CC first which ones are open or TRO etc. They have an online mapping system to make it eay.

If you are on the wrong track the wardens will come down on you like a ton of bricks and quite rightly so.

PS I use a Memory Map 2800 Adventurer to pin point I'm on the right track alongside carefully researched marked up OS maps.

Help,I am looking for a road book,in tulip diagram form,which covers Salisbury plain.

I need to practice using tulip diagrams for an upcomming event.

I believe Total Off Road magazine published one a year or two back.

Any roadbooks - on or off road - in Wiltshire or Gloucestershire would be good.

Thanks, Jerry.

Cool would be interested to know what event your off doing....

the problem training with the TOR roadbook is that they do not give you the intermediate distances, they give you a running total which they reset at points through the book. Most of the European event road books (only ones i have any experience of) you work off the intermediate distance between one tulip to the next and use the running total as a cross check.

Probably your best bet it to make your own that as closely resembles the type of road book that your event is using..

I have used RBEditor to create road books.

Also if your not used to long roadbook events my biggest tip is to always look ahead in the book all the time. For example if there is a river crossing a few diagrams ahead then you are probably going wrong if your still heading up hill... also on the start line check you have all the pages of the book and there are no crazy totals....

I learnt this the hard way by being lost for hours in the wilderness and most likely at stupid o'clock in the morning too :)

hope this helps

Paul

I am looking for roadbooks to drive.

We are entered in the Bresslau Rally in June.And any sort of practice would help.

Does anyone have the Total Off Road Yearbook 2010 with the salisbury route in it?