Raised bump stops

Got me thinking cap on last night....I purchased 3 years ago a Terrafirma 2" lift kit (not realising the shocks were only standard height)and have been very happy with it so far but recently realised that I didnt have the articulation I thought I should have and have just replaced the shocks with 2" extended ones.

When I examined the old rear shocks they are completely f***ed and on compression they no longer extend on their own however the fronts were fine.

Now I thought the fronts would of been worn out too because of the extra load placed on them. So now I wonder if the backs had been damaged internally and lost gas due to over compression because I only have standard height bump stops.

Are extended bump stops critical on this size of lift?

Got me thinking cap on last night....I purchased 3 years ago a Terrafirma 2" lift kit (not realising the shocks were only standard height)and have been very happy with it so far but recently realised that I didnt have the articulation I thought I should have and have just replaced the shocks with 2" extended ones.

When I examined the old rear shocks they are completely f***ed and on compression they no longer extend on their own however the fronts were fine.

Now I thought the fronts would of been worn out too because of the extra load placed on them. So now I wonder if the backs had been damaged internally and lost gas due to over compression because I only have standard height bump stops.

Are extended bump stops critical on this size of lift?

Did you lower the mounts?

Its not over compression that kills the shocks its repeatably bottoming out that will do it (seen this and done it)....

If you take out your springs and cycle the axle what limits the up travel first?

If its the bumps the you don't need extended ones

If its the shocks that fully compresses (bottoms out first) before the axle contacts the bumps then yes you want to extend the bumps....

hope this helps,

Paul

Did you lower the mounts?

Its not over compression that kills the shocks its repeatably bottoming out that will do it (seen this and done it)....

If you take out your springs and cycle the axle what limits the up travel first?

If its the bumps the you don't need extended ones

If its the shocks that fully compresses (bottoms out first) before the axle contacts the bumps then yes you want to extend the bumps....

hope this helps,

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for the prompt reply.

The shock mounts are not lowered just standard.

I hadnt thought of testing it like that :blush: , so next time I get chance guess what I'll be doing!!

Im guessing if that I lift the axle with the spring out on one side with a bottle jack that either the bump stop will touch and then lift the chassis or if the shock bottoms first then that would start to lift the chassis and that would then give me a distance of height needed to lift the bumps by?