tomaco1

Not sure if I put this in?

Not sure if I put the circular thing in behind the front timing cover? should I take it all apart again?

Thanks

post-6197-0-99203700-1306414442_thumb.jpg

Not sure if I put the circular thing in behind the front timing cover? should I take it all apart again?

Thanks

Simple rule "IF IN DOUBT CHECK IT OUT" Always play safe when dealing moving parts.

Thanks

it's a gasket which on mine was self adhesive, should be a circular gasket in the timing case/engine block gasket kit.

is the new one still in the gasket kit ?

is the old one in the garage trash bin ?

if still in doubt, strip & check

That little gasket is there because the bolt it surrounds goes right through the timing case and into the engine block. Oil can pass up the bolt and either leak into the timing case or come out around the bolt head. If there is a leak, then it will run down the timing case and out of the wading plug hole in the bottom, so minimal risk of it getting on the belt. It may not leak at all, but it is there for a reason. If the old one is still there, then I wouldn't worry about it as it's likely to still do it's job.

Les.

Thanks, I just redid it and the old one was there but it was a little beat-up, Luckily I had one.

Having seen the effect of that gasket not being in the correct position, I would be very much inclined to check - although by the sounds of it, you already have...

The engine in question had this gasket in the wrong place, and then proceeded to pump the contents of the sump into the timing case. In this case the wading plug was in, so the issue wasn't picked up till the oil pressure light came on, and the timing chest was half full....

It is commonly known as the penny washer and for some reason isn't mentioned in some of the cambelt replacement guides.

Thanks

Is that a 200 tdi timing case ? I changed the belt on my 300 tdi 6000 kms ago and there's no leak through the wading plug hole even though that little paper washer wasn't changed (so frustrating to see it lying there at the end of the job) why isn't it mentioned in any of the guides ?

Is that a 200 tdi timing case ? I changed the belt on my 300 tdi 6000 kms ago and there's no leak through the wading plug hole even though that little paper washer wasn't changed (so frustrating to see it lying there at the end of the job) why isn't it mentioned in any of the guides ?

the above diagram is a 200Tdi, the gasket is different for a 300Tdi & in the workshop book it shows a similar area covered with part of a one piece gasket.

There is a seperate 'penny' gasket on the 300tdi timing case as well...... I'm making a mental note to remember to install it when I do my timing belt this weekend, at first I thought it was some rubbish in with the gasket :-S

There is a seperate 'penny' gasket on the 300tdi timing case as well...... I'm making a mental note to remember to install it when I do my timing belt this weekend, at first I thought it was some rubbish in with the gasket :-S

no mention or diagram of it in the workshop manual

no mention or diagram of it in the workshop manual

Looking back up the thread maybe I'm confused, I'm thinking about the gasket between the front and back halves of the timing case, is the OP talking about the gasket between the back of the timing case and block? If so sorry for muddying the water.

Looking back up the thread maybe I'm confused, I'm thinking about the gasket between the front and back halves of the timing case, is the OP talking about the gasket between the back of the timing case and block? If so sorry for muddying the water.

Yes, gasket between block & rear part of the timing case.

Yes, gasket between block & rear part of the timing case.

I wonder why it gets included in a timing belt kit it's a bit disconcerting :unsure:

Definately on a 300TDi, I know because I replaced it on mine last time.

As I said earlier, some of the guides don't mention it yet others do.

shown in Micocat as 'sealing washer' part ERR2344 looks like this when brand new, note the centre disc is NOT required.

post-20-0-81129300-1306519885_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-35405600-1306520380_thumb.jpg