V8 What sort of miles will it do before its goosed

Just bought a 1984 110 v8 with over 200,000 on the clock and still running well.

As far as I was told it has been regularly serviced but I would need to take their word for that.

Will it go for much longer or should I keep an eye out for a good replacement.

All I know about it is it was used by a tree surgeon for some of its life so no idea how hard it has been pushed.

Regards

Frax ;)

depends who you ask on here, some say they need work at 60k and some say there shot at 150k. RPI have some interesting reading on their web site, i know that my 150k V8 runns better than my 60k motor....... :S

Have heard people say a light rebuild after 50k and others say if it has not been thrashed and has had regular oil changes then it will go much longer. Mine had 100k on the clock and was fine apart from throttle spindle wear on carb.

It's now out of the vehicle with a slightly dubious Isuzu in it's place.

Milegae is completely irrelevant

Its oil, quality of and how often changed with filter and looked after

You can kill a V8 at any mileage with foul oil and carbon build up, but high miles

ones are out there that have been looked after

Cams can have wear esp No 7 lifter at 80-120,000, rest is down to the above

One superfast guide to a V8s condition is remove either rocker and post a pic up here

light brown V Good, Dark Brown Good, Black worn to some degree, cornflales black glue - shove it into the skip

Nige

140K AND STILL GOING STRONG. :D As long the service is done correctly every year no problem. Have a look at your breather filters on both rocker cover area. When I got mine before the LPG add-on I had white creamy residue in both metal filters and tubing. Soon replaced and no problem ever since. Do the usual checks if the parts original IE distributor, HT, Spark plugs, leads. If you have an amplifier attached to the original distributor maybe wise to have a spare handy.

+1 for the V8forum, found it very useful during my engine rebuild.

My 101's V8 ate it's camshaft at 70,000km, no7 exhaust lobe gone totally and rest not far behind!! Amazingly it still ran well if noisily despite this and a worn out dizzy, 101 would still do 60!

I'd always done regular oil changes but I'm it's 4th civvy owner.

Hi all and thank you for all the replies.

Nigel I will take pictures when I get home but I am stuck in the North Sea for another week. I would like to see whay you think though.

At over 220 miles I would think that the engine has had work done on it at some point.

Regards

Frax ;)