handbrake adjust 300tdi

stubbo

Hi do any of you people in the know out there know how to adjust the handbrake on an L reg 300tdi?

I have looked & i can not see any adjust on the drum end of the cable. Is there any adjust at the centre console end & if so how do you get at it?

or do you have to get into the drum it self.

If you mean adjust the position of the handbrake lever during operation then I think this is as Les says, however, if you are referring to travel to get an effective working handbrake, you can adjust the drum it's self. Square nut on the rear (tbox side) of drum.

If you mean adjust the position of the handbrake lever during operation then I think this is as Les says, however, if you are referring to travel to get an effective working handbrake, you can adjust the drum it's self. Square nut on the rear (tbox side) of drum.

Bolt head on rear bottom edge of drum backplate, 17mm from memory but it could be 19mm. Turn it clockwise to improve handbrake.

Firstly chock a wheel and lift one from the ground(not the chocked one, lol) Next,loosen the cable adjuster located under the centre console to give the cable some free play (black nylon nut which the cable passes through). Adjust the shoes with the 17mm bolt on the 'front' face of the handbrake drum until it just starts to bind, you can feel this by rotating the drum by hand, then back off 1/4 of a turn till it turns freely. Back under the centre console to the cable adjuster, tighten until hand brake travel is around three clicks, bit of a sod but I managed by using a pair of slip-jaw grips and long nose pliers.

HTH

Bri.