Speed restrictions on tyres

woodsy

Can anybody tell me if there is a speed restriction on Recip Trial 245/70/16? We purchased 4 new (remould) tyres in Sept 2010 for our Discovery 2. Have used only for day to day and some green laning only so nothing extreme. The other day we noticed a flapping noise whilst driving and stopped as soon as we could. We saw that one of the luggs had come away from the rear nearside tyre and obviously would have peeled right off had we continued driving!!! There is no speed restriction warning on the tyre, neither were we told of any at the time of purchase. We have not exceeded 70mph as the disco is not really built for that but want to get as much info as poss before returning to where we bought them. Can anyone help or experienced same? Any info appreciated.

Can anybody tell me if there is a speed restriction on Recip Trial 245/70/16? We purchased 4 new (remould) tyres in Sept 2010 for our Discovery 2. Have used only for day to day and some green laning only so nothing extreme. The other day we noticed a flapping noise whilst driving and stopped as soon as we could. We saw that one of the luggs had come away from the rear nearside tyre and obviously would have peeled right off had we continued driving!!! There is no speed restriction warning on the tyre, neither were we told of any at the time of purchase. We have not exceeded 70mph as the disco is not really built for that but want to get as much info as poss before returning to where we bought them. Can anyone help or experienced same? Any info appreciated.

Hi

I have no idea of the speed ratings of your tyres, but in simple terms a speed rating of a tyre is a letter, say "A" at say "60 MPH" and that

if you go 10MPH over this max rating for some time (can't remember what but say 10 mins) then there is a risk of delamination, which I think

is what is happening with yours.

So, have a good lookie on the www and your sidewalls see what they are - thats prob it, and why I am neverous of say Simex ETs on my 90 with the low

speed rating they have, IMVHO Remoulds are evn more speed rating sensitive, I have know peeops in the old days with dirt devil tyres which undid

themselves completely a a few MPH about the "Approved" speed rating :lol:

HTH

Nige

PS moved to International BTW, and welcome :)

this chart should explain tyre speed ratings

More than likely it is just that they are remoulds therefore likely to fall to bits at some point. It isn't specifically to do with speed - we had a set of remould tractor tyres on the farm that totally delaminated and had never been on a paved road. Broncos were terrible for it which is probably why they aren't around any more, sold them for a while at work and we sold the last few sets off cheap to get rid of them as after a few fell to bits nobody would buy them!

More than likely it is just that they are remoulds therefore likely to fall to bits at some point. It isn't specifically to do with speed - we had a set of remould tractor tyres on the farm that totally delaminated and had never been on a paved road. Broncos were terrible for it which is probably why they aren't around any more, sold them for a while at work and we sold the last few sets off cheap to get rid of them as after a few fell to bits nobody would buy them!

Will second the view on Bronco's. Mine are delaminating happily and the truck's been parked up for 6 months :angry:.

They were fine when I parked it...