Blue Smoke! yes that topic again!!!

Hi

Im doing up a 1991 200TDI defender 90. Its been stood for a while and is not MOT'ed at mo.

Its starts first cranck but is blowing out blue smoke when started and reved. After a few mins at idle is gets less, but if you rev it blows blue again.

Ive changed oil, air and fuel filters. Fitted a new battery, put in new diesel (and tank) and changed glowplugs.

I did a compresion test all came out at around 300. Checked breather and cleaned breather cyclone. Checked all hoses to Turbo, no splits.

The Turbo has very little sidways movement and is not noisy but there was a little oil in air box between filter and turbo.

Any ideas as to what I need to check next, or what it might be thats causing blue smoke?

Hope someone can help so I can get my 90 MOT'ed and used.

Paul R

Mine did that after sitting up for 2 months. I'd guess a small leak past the valve stems. Mine was the same vintage of 200tdi as yours.

A little oil in the air filter does happen, as the cyclone filter is conencted to the airbox.

Get it up to temperature and take it for a rally down the motorway first and see if that clears it.

Mine did that after sitting up for 2 months. I'd guess a small leak past the valve stems. Mine was the same vintage of 200tdi as yours.

A little oil in the air filter does happen, as the cyclone filter is conencted to the airbox.

Get it up to temperature and take it for a rally down the motorway first and see if that clears it.

Hi Gromit

I considered valve stem seals or turbo seals.

I agree, I need to take it for a run - but no MOT or Tax so will have to be 'Creative'

Thanks

I agree, I need to take it for a run - but no MOT or Tax so will have to be 'Creative'

Unfortunately, no amount of driving it about the garden will get it up to temp to burn off the oil, particularly with the 200tdi as it's overcooled. Big hills, if you have them, are an alternative to a 2am motorway run ;)

• 3 weeks later...

A little blue smoke will not necessarily win you an MOT fail.

As suggested, a good run, minimum of 10 minutes (ideally more) at 50+ should get everything hot, running as it should be and all breathers clear. This will also make an MOT pass more likely - as would creative adjustment of the throttle cable at the pump end just prior to the test so that full throttle is never achieved... rolleyes.gifwink.gif

Chris

• 3 months later...

Yes it passed the MOT no problems.

The blue smoke did clear after a short time but it is still there at first start.

Ive decided its glazed bores and the smoke is oil burning when the pistons are cold. As they heat up the rings are expanding and no more oil is burned.

I will have to hone and replace the rings a t some time.

More worrying is the vibration from the transfer box. I may need to replace the output bearings.

Thanks for your comments.

The blue smoke did clear after a short time but it is still there at first start.

Ive decided its glazed bores and the smoke is oil burning when the pistons are cold. As they heat up the rings are expanding and no more oil is burned.

I will have to hone and replace the rings a t some time.

still sounds like valve stem seals as Gromit suggested. I'd change them before going to the effort of honing etc!

Check the injection timing first!!! Or the injection blue smoke is not always burned oil

If it was the injection timing it would be white smoke not blue would it not? and it would run like a sack of manure even when warm. Sounds like valve or turbo seals like already mentioned, oil leaking past them and burning off when warm, had that problem with my old 19J

If it was the injection timing it would be white smoke not blue would it not? and it would run like a sack of manure even when warm. Sounds like valve or turbo seals like already mentioned, oil leaking past them and burning off when warm, had that problem with my old 19J

Checking is not so expensive and i know that bad timing can cause blue smoke, there not so much difference between unburnt oil or diesel.

• 6 years later...
11 hours ago, Sean. said:

Just wondering if this was ever found, and what the fix was? Sorry it's an old post!

Me too - had similar since rebuilding with an overbore in 2008, with associated oil loss and blue smoke on idle and over-run, but not labouring.  Head rebuilt twice, two new turbos.  Suspicion has fallen on glazing from too gentle a run in and using Slick 50 and vegoil as fuel (pre-heated) after a few thousand miles.  Other suggestions were the turbo drain pipe being clogged and the exhaust causing a vacuum and sucking oil out of the turbine seal (unlikely on a new Turbotechnics one though, I think).

The first step with smoke on a diesel is to smell the exhaust.  This will tell you if it is fuel, coolant or crankcase oil.  Once you know that, you can start to hunt it down.

Most likely, this was simple timing.  Diesels really need the timing advanced when cold and Land Rover was stupid and did not spring for the cold start advance option....  If you don't have the timing just right, they smoke like hell cold.

I will be looking at the timing on my 19J (2.5TD) this weekend, after doing the compression test!

Finally getting that done, and then I'll know more and what next to slow the oil leaking down. Cleaning the injectors and banjo bolts made a big difference, I can now tell the 19J apart from the 12J (2.5 N/A).