ebay question

pugwash

If he wnats it he will have to bid for it,

Telling him the reserve doesn't do much, as if he bids £1000000 e-bay will only accept as lower bid as is needed to win it.

Not doing can give people (righly IMHO) the hump, the difference really is in the listing fees, at .99p vs £50 starting price the costs if no bids is I belive cheaper for the .99p unsold etc

Tell him IMHO

Nige

From a buyers point of view, not knowing the reserve can be a pain. It gives you an idea of the seller has a realistinc idea of what the item is worth - or atleast if you both have the same ide aof waht it is worth :)

From a sellers point of view it does no harm to tell the potential bidder. If they ask you if you will end early for the reserve, you can still say no (it is afterall the minimum you will sell for).

I will generally let people know what the reserve is if asked. Some people even add it to the listing, which can be useful.

Cheers

Mark

Nope, the biding process will tell potential buyers if/when the reserve price has or has not been met, I sold a handheld ham radio recently & didn't disclose my reserve, upto you if you want to tell buyers but I wouldn't.

I aways start the auction at or near the price I want

with no reserve.

I think that can put potential buyers off - depending what price you want for something. I bought my quad from eBay. It was advertised with no reserve but a starting price of £4000. Needless to say, nobody wanted to start that high, even though the quad was worth an easy £4,500 or more. I bid at the last minute and won a real bargain. :) I genuinely think that if the bidding had started at more like £1000 there would have been a lot more people after it making much smaller price increases and feeling like it was a better deal.

Chris

From a buyer and seller stand point I think disclosing the reserve is a non-issue.

Ebay in thier wisdom do not increase or inform a seller of the max bid that was placed on item, for an auction with reserve it means that if the bidding doesn't get above the reserve it won't move to the highest.

An example:

item starts at 99p with reserve of £50

buyer bids £48 as that is what he thinks it is worth, high bid is now 99p

another buyer comes in and bids £30, max bid is now £31.

auction ends, you don't sell the item and the buyer doesn't get it, but you may have been happy to accept £48 and the buyer should have been happy to pay £48. If ebay had an option to disclose max bid or something it might have made another sale.

If you put the reserve in then bidders know that is what you are willing to let it go at and perhaps won't be a few pennies or pounds off, I often bid things like 25.99 or 26.01 as technique, but that kind of thing might been I don't hit a reserve.