Cheap Air Line System for your Workshop

I have spent YEARS with x 100 ft of bl**dy airlines dragged everywhere

a right PITFA and a nightmare. A While ago my back "popped" (old injury)

so after "2 falls and a submission" as I say to him the Osteo had my spine back in and went hom

for beer and takeaway and super hot baths, and reading :)

I decided to read cover to cover (cos I am sad) the sealey catalogue, I then came across the air system :D

Its 15mm Plastic pipe, with 90s, straights, Ts and clps and spacers, a simple enough to build system me thought

so when a tad better I bought a kload, but have been sooo busy today was the 1st day I even go a chance to look at

it and fab it up. Mr Freak had seen this lot and was so impressed he bought some and fitted it and raved over it, but today was my turn

And

Its superb :), seruiously easy to fit, BUY the pipe cutter (circa £20 extar) and I had the whole liot done is anout 3/4 of a day

Thtas 38 Foot of pipework, 3 exits, and some tricky connection round the workshop 'Peer' and that also includes plumbing in

the water trap / filer / oiler and the Shotblaster and the plasma cutter too

All in all for about £170 all in I have a graet little air line system (Filter thingy excluded from costs)

Pics :

post-22-0-28275200-1307046539_thumb.jpgpost-22-0-37598800-1307046559_thumb.jpg post-22-0-80087800-1307046577_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-83540200-1307046594_thumb.jpg post-22-0-77782200-1307046612_thumb.jpg

Part Nos :

CAS 15 NP - 5 x 3 metres of 15mm Pipe

CAS 15 SC - Straight Connectors Pack of 5

CAS 15 ET - Equal Tees - Pack of 5

CAS 15EE Equal Elbow 90 Degrees Pack of 5

CASS Spacer(s) for pipe from wall x 20 in pack

CAS 15 PC Clip for pipe x 20 in pack

CAS 15 SA Brass end for air line exit(s) x 1 pack

This is a superb little system, quick to fit, zero maintenance and cheap too, should have done it years ago

Worth a look

:)

Nige

Looks nice though I'm not sure my compressor would have the stamina to bring it all up to pressure.

Nige (and others..) what's the general consensus re the snap in connectors though? PCL or the shorter Euro type connector. I seem to have a good mix of both which can be pretty frustrating at times.

I went the other way with mine.

Bought a pipe threading set and invested in some 1/2" galv pipe and fittings.

PCL are what i use and have no complaints :)

Gordon

It's strong.

Takes a while to do as you have to thread everything, then get the ptfe tape on it etc etc. Not as easy to fit as plastic push fit, but i'd break that :ph34r:

I can't remember how much a length was, not a lot though. I reckon i spent less than £170 though. The most expensive part were the air line fittings (think i've got about 10 around the workshop).

G

I put a system in with galv pipe in the early 90's, it had been an assortment of nylon before that,

the cost was amazingly cheap like under 30 quid; it's about 60 feet.

I was given 5 lengths of copper tube and a handful of solder fittings, that was in November and it took

me until last week to get round to it, I added a 50 foot extension to my air line. It took me a

few hours as I don't rush and I had to make the new expansion cylinder. I guess it would have cost around

£30 if I had my hand in my pocket. I used some push on tap connectors to connect the copper to copper in a

few places with odd bends[they don't seem to do 22-1/2º bends]and I found 1/2bsp fits the male threads in 15mm

compression fittings, so it was easy enough to connect copper to filters and galv pipe.

Now my 36 year old regulator is constantly relieving, I can't see anything wrong with the 'valve' or seat?

Just to add :) .....

The "£170" includes 4+ of the expensive Brass wasll sockets which then have

the quick release couplings screwed into them - and some connections for Plasma and Shotblaster etc

these are expensive but its nice to have a selection of points to connect to - less of these

and the price would drop significantly

I did look at galv, the prices for this has shot up - as all steel prices have, and would be a bigger / longer job

so hence my going this route price / time :)

Also should later on I want an extar unit anywhere, easy to add / modify

Nige

BES sell it on line, may be worth comparing prices.

I used galv that was salvaged from a soon to be demolsihed HGV workshop.

Another thing we have done is to add a couple of extra tanks, one is a broken mobile compressor. We binned the compressor and made it so it can unplug. It's always charged and easy to pull to a flat tyre that's out of reach. The extra air capacity means you can do more work with a smaller compressor.

We also fitted a largish pressure gauge on the wall as we put the compressor in another shed.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice idea :)

Our work system is 1 inch galv all around (10hp 270L three phase AIE compressor) which is fairly robust but I think my new garage at home may end up with some blue pipe in it :)

Where did you get the filter/oiler unit from? I've been looking for one but nothing sensible I could find.

• 8 months later...

When was that? 15mm copper pipe is very expensive now :( Nearly a tenner for a 3m length now

I've just done my Bathroom the last time I was at home and copper pipe and fittings are very expensive now!

John

Update

The system has proved to be superb, I also have "Added" to it, as easy as decide where I wanted extra outlets,

fit new outlet on the wall, cut into Blue pipe and add a T unit, add more blue pipe to new outlet and job done :)

One of those "I should have done this years ago" solutions :)

Nige

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...