Performance Turbos

stuck

Gent's,

Having to do some work on my 110 Td5 at the moment (head gasket etc), whilst it's in bits I might as well do the upgrades I had planned for the future ( turbo, intercooler, EGR bypass, remap etc)

Decisions regarding the turbo is difficult as I don't know that much about the options available, as I'm sure you all know TD5alive offer an uprated Garret for about the same cost as Bell Auto's Turbo Technic VGT jobby.

If it matters I'm looking for an across the board improvement rather than top end power, I think VGT is the best option for me but as I have said I know sod all about turbos.

Opinions please :D

I'd go for the vgt, i think it'll produce better low donw power, which lets be honest is what makes the biggest difference........ high engine revs and land rovers don;t really go together do they....!... (unless your engine has spark plugs........ 8 of them!)

If you're spending lots of money on a special I'd ask if you can't have a water cooled bearing. Used to have Saab 900s which had that, and over several 100,000 miles never had a turbo problem, despite being able to get the turbo & manifold that sort of yellowey orangey red colour on any sort of A road if in a hurry.I read they were rather over-engineered as Saab originally back in '82 or whenever didn't want turbo failures on the original Turbo. Other car manufacturers joined in, Garret offerered a no cooling version which did give trouble, then subsequently a version with an oil reservoir for the bearing which was better but not as good as water cooled, to save money over water cooling (I've had non-cooled ones fail). I don't know what a TD5 has but I think longevity would be improved with a water cooled one; they do seem to have problems with manifolds overheating, so it must be warm round there.

There is also quite a bit of information on the web about VNT vanes sticking eg linky But VNTs do apparently produce a small increase in low speed torque if the 2.8TGV figures are to be believed. I guess it depends how important reliability is vs performance.

Nigel

Gent's,

Having to do some work on my 110 Td5 at the moment (head gasket etc), whilst it's in bits I might as well do the upgrades I had planned for the future ( turbo, intercooler, EGR bypass, remap etc)

Decisions regarding the turbo is difficult as I don't know that much about the options available, as I'm sure you all know TD5alive offer an uprated Garret for about the same cost as Bell Auto's Turbo Technic VGT jobby.

If it matters I'm looking for an across the board improvement rather than top end power, I think VGT is the best option for me but as I have said I know sod all about turbos.

Opinions please :D

you've got to fix the cooling problem & get it running first :rolleyes::P