Tyre quiz

I have used BFG MTs for years, 265s when i first got the 110 as it had them fitted, changed to 255/85s (old style BFG mt) when they wore out and replaced again with 255/85s BFG MTkm.

I am less than impressed with the kms for the reasons Mark90 said above, Sidewalls have suffered a lot on mine and the dreaded beads have been a constant pain in the bum, all the tyres have been off at least once to be cleaned of carp getting under the bead 'rim protector'.

The original BFGs did 50,000 miles before I took them off and used them for spares with 6-8mm left. The KMs won't be anywhere near that when they get replaced soon.

I am tempted to give Coopers a try myself as they seem the only alternative without going up a size widthwise :(

Will :)

I have used BFG MTs for years, 265s when i first got the 110 as it had them fitted, changed to 255/85s (old style BFG mt) when they wore out and replaced again with 255/85s BFG MTkm.

I am less than impressed with the kms for the reasons Mark90 said above, Sidewalls have suffered a lot on mine and the dreaded beads have been a constant pain in the bum, all the tyres have been off at least once to be cleaned of carp getting under the bead 'rim protector'.

The original BFGs did 50,000 miles before I took them off and used them for spares with 6-8mm left. The KMs won't be anywhere near that when they get replaced soon.

I am tempted to give Coopers a try myself as they seem the only alternative without going up a size widthwise :(

Will :)

Yeah, the old pattern did seemed to perform better. My 255s (now living with Si White) were some of the very last of the old style MTs (KOs IIRC). I always rated them very highly; the only reason I got rid of them is I wasn't using them anymore. Now I'm looking at annother BFG tyre to go on after the rebuild :D

How do I tell them apart, for example at a major LR show in the Northampton area? Do the 'new' (not as good) ones have the bead protector ridge just above the rim? Sounds like I don't want a set of the newer type.

I'll have a look around the dealers for a show deal on Cooper New STT, Kumho 834 Roadventure or maybe something from John Craddock.

How do I tell them apart, for example at a major LR show in the Northampton area? Do the 'new' (not as good) ones have the bead protector ridge just above the rim? Sounds like I don't want a set of the newer type.

I'll have a look around the dealers for a show deal on Cooper New STT, Kumho 834 Roadventure or maybe something from John Craddock.

The new ones have "km" on them :P ... and edited to add the shoulder lugs go further up the sidewall

I doubt you will find any of the old ones around now anyway, except for maybe used ones, they have been out of production for a few years AFAIK.

I use a set of old ones (33x12.50R15) and a set of new ones (265/75R16) and I can't say I noticed much difference apart from the obvious benefit of 50" of tyre width in a boggy situation :)

What're you using them for? Road use, laning, playing, competing? What have you driven them on? Got any photos?

Sorry for the q's, I'm just loath to spend £400 without researching some customer satisfaction thoroughly!

Only had them a couple of weeks so they've not had a hammering yet.

Done about 100mls roadwise and they feel fine.

Some greenlaning, playing last weekend.

Pics in this thread Mines the Blue Disco

Note the last photo, turn the monitor so the trees are vertical :D