Suspension comfort

Defenders don't have the most luxurious floating on air ride quality...

Can the quality be improved much? With new springs and/or dampers? And is it cost effective?

Would love to hear from someone that has done something like this, cheers.

If you currently have a hard-top or truck cab model you could try fitting springs for a station wagon, although I think that might only go for 110s. My 110 rode very hard because a previous owner put heavy duty springs underneath it, so I'll be putting the softer station wagon springs back in.

Decent dampers help, especially in a 90 where the short wheelbase isn't conducive to a good ride anyway.

My 110 was shocking (no pun intended) when I bought her,

Changed everything to OME and it's much better on and off road, having said that, when I took the original dampers off they were seized solid!

You could be original and retrofit the air set up from a P38 :D

don't use the 110 rear springs that also have the Self levelling strut, these are to soft to be used without the strut,

you could go for OME springs, on my 110 they give a good ride & aren't as stiff as 110 hardtop rear springs.

Thanks all. That's probably the reason, mine has the hard top springs I believe, so station wagon ones would help. Would you go for land rover original springs or not? Along with ome dampers it should help a lot.

* re read westerns post, looks like ome all round then!

Thanks Western, mine is a 90, so I'd just get the 90 station wagon springs?

Should have noticed from your picture,110 springs won't fit yours,

90 springs are still handed IIRC, so either the correct colour code for each side or 2 the same driver side is normally slightly longer

NRC9448 D90 Rear 15.31 225 8 blue/red

NRC9449 D90 Rear 14.80 225 8 yellow/white

http://rovers.red90.ca/springinfo.html

So I may have the "comfort" springs already fitted...

From reading the spec chart I'm left a little more confused, looking at the lb/inch for the springs the standard are 225. But the heavy duty has 210/240. So softer under initial compression

I should just accept it's not a range rover :D

Should have noticed from your picture,110 springs won't fit yours,

90 springs are still handed IIRC, so either the correct colour code for each side or 2 the same driver side is normally slightly longer

NRC9448 D90 Rear 15.31 225 8 blue/red

NRC9449 D90 Rear 14.80 225 8 yellow/white

http://rovers.red90.ca/springinfo.html

Hi Western, Not hijacking the thread exactly :)...

When you say "2 the same" above, do you mean that it's ok to fit same length springs each side?

Bought some new ones on ebay - new takeoff from a brand new Puma, and they're the same on each side - ok to fit on an older 90?

(relates to http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=68584)

Cheers

Mike

only older 90/110 were fitted with different springs each side, can't see why 2 of the same can't be used. LR did this with later vehicles. only change on 90's that would possibly make a small difference is the fuel tank was reloacted from RH side under seat to the rear of the chassis.

just thinking out loud - but why cant you fit disco / rangie classic springs to a 90 to get a much nicer and softer ride?

both of them are heavier than a 90 and i believe they all use the same anti roll bars front and rear as well. So theoretically you could fit them and it would work, as discos and range rovers dont fall over all the time - so in principle it would be safe on a 90.

Looking at the figures...

D90 front 175lbs/inch and 15" long NRC9446

disco front 150lbs/inch and 17" long NRC4305

D90 rear 225lbs/inch and 14.8" long NRC9449

disco rear 155/215lbs/inch and 15.3" long NRC8044

So you shouldnt actually lose any ride height either, as the drop in spring rate is offset by the longer spring. In fact i am pretty sure the gap between the bumpstop and axle bump pad on a disco is the same as a defender anyway, so it should sit 'normally'. Combined with decent uprated shocks (or twin shocks) and good ARBs front and rear - would make it quite nice. Would imagine you would lose some payload capacity though.

Would a 10-15% drop in spring rate make it ride like a rangerover on air springs though? Narrrr. but might make it more comfy though. :ph34r:

Nick

Oooh nicks90, thats a very interesting post. I'd like to here more about the possibilities of this, I'm sure Western or some other will be help to help confirm or not if its possible.Just imagine wafting along in the old bucket :D

A look at Trevs' spring calculator (see tech archive) & a bit of braining should lead you to a set of springs that will do what you want for the use you have in mind. I'd vote for genuine LR springs or Old Man Emu, and the same for shocks.

Hi Western, Not hijacking the thread exactly :)...

When you say "2 the same" above, do you mean that it's ok to fit same length springs each side?

Bought some new ones on ebay - new takeoff from a brand new Puma, and they're the same on each side - ok to fit on an older 90?

(relates to http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=68584)

Cheers

Mike

Its fine to run the same springs both sides...

I have Yellow/White (110/130 HD fronts, cant remember which side) on the front. On the back I have Red/Blue 90 rears (normal, not the HD ones.)

Sorry - bit thick here! Just to clarify Western's valid points: Does OME stand for Original Manufacturer's Equipment or Old Man Emu suspension?

I suspect the former?

Old Man Emu.

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer :)