Suspension comfort

It's all about compromise.

How high do want the vehicle to ride ?

How much weight do you want to carry ?

How much does a bit of body roll bother you on the road ?

Etc, etc, etc.

My 90 on the original springs was painfully hard at the back off road.

And the front couldn't really cope with the weight of the winch and bumper and used to bottom out far too often.

I don't think you can ever get it to "float" quite like a range rover, partly because the wheelbase is too short and 90's tend to "pitch" a bit and partly because the sprung to un-sprung ratios are different between a 90 and a RR.

There's loads of information on here if you use the search. This site and Google provided all the info I needed.

With all I found about different standard springs, free lengths, spring rates, etc I was able to work out the best set of compromises for me.

Mine now rides about 1.5" higher than standard (with the rubberised spring seats that I used). The back is a little higher than the front.

The ride on and off road (for me) is a lot, lot better.

But you do need to invest some time.

Work out the weight on each of the wheels.

The ride height you want.

The spring rates you want (harder or softer than stock and or similar vehicles you've tried).

You'll almost certainly be able to find some standard springs to do the job and you can adjust the odd half inch with a small spacer.

Make sure whatever shocks that you use compress to be smaller than the minimum gap when the axle is sitting on the bump stop.

My son just bought a kit when he did his. Simple but not very good :angry:

My springs are much, much longer than his but softer and off road it rides just how I wanted it to.

Much better result but took a lot of thinking about and a bit of trial and error to fine tune the ride height.

Good luck.

Paul

Been doing some reading, struggling to find sprung weights. But read some comments that say dampers are more important than springs to ride comfort, and that the standard Land Rover ones are pretty poor.

I've got the opposite problem in that my suspension is becoming too soft for my liking. This is great for a comfy ride but I get more body roll in the corners than I care for.

Maybe we can do a swap? :lol:

I'm saving the pennies for a set of OME springs and shocks.