Td4 auto box

vizslar bus

Hi hope someone can help I have a 2000 td4 with a very slippy auto box i have been using just to take dog & myself around the corner, only gets a bit hair'y when you pull out at t junctions, thought i might invest in a box, but which, I know a jackto box is what i need but is this the same as in a v6 ? I do know off exchange units but funds are not going to stretch to that, shame as it a great motor, I had thought of re-conning it my self but was advised against, any advise app

thanks

I think the V6 has different ratios to the TD4. The Jatco JF506E box has been fitted to Jag X-Types, VW Golfs, Mazda MPVs and Rover 75s, unfortunately all with minor differences meaning you really need a TD4 box. They turn up at breakers and eBay every now and then.

One cheap thing to consider is that they need a specific auto fluid (N402) and at the correct level. Might be worth a check.

Where does it slip? Mine slipped badly in 4th and 5th meaning that 0-30mph was ok, everyting after that was optional. I gave in after a bit and had my box rebuilt.

Bad news is that a fix will probably not be cheap.

Rob.

Ho hum level checked & seemed to be ok, 1st to 2nd ok ish slip 3 4 5 have to back off with fine throttle control,dont go far in her, though it would be nice to boot it & have something their not been over 50 in such a long time (wont lose me licence though eh) cheers any how

Sounds like this problem....

JF506E TRANSAXLE (ALL MODELS)

2-3 FLARE OR SLIPS IN 3RD, 4TH AND 5TH

COMPLAINT:

Mazda, Volkswagen, Jaguar or Freelander vehicles, equipped with the JF506E transaxle,

may exhibit a flare on the 2-3 upshift, and/or slips in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear.

CAUSE:

The cause may be, a cracked High Clutch Housing/Reverse Piston (See Figure 144). This

crack is extremely difficult to see, and if missed during rebuild will cause premature high

clutch failure. When this piston is cracked, it allows high clutch fluid to bleed into the

reverse clutch circuit when the unit is in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. The reverse clutch circuit is

open to exhaust, when the unit is in these gears.

CORRECTION:

Replace the High Clutch Housing/Reverse Piston assembly, as shown in Figure 144. Refer

to Figure 145 for an exploded view of the high and reverse clutch housing for the piston

location.

SERVICE INFORMATION:

High Clutch Piston Housing/Reverse Piston (Mazda Part No.) .................... FP03-19-480

You can buy some rebuild parts from Ashcrofts.

YouTube has some good videos showing Jatco rebuilds (mainly VW boxes in the States, but similar insides). I got scared at the complexity and paid someone to do it in the end.

Rob.