CO2 Emmisions

LR90

reading a piece that say's LR have launched a pilot scheme to offset the carbon dioxide emissions of every vehicle it sells I found this link Climate Care. Now waiting for the fridge variant :ph34r:

8 tons of CO2 a year if I use the (300TDi) disco, 12.2 tons if I use the range rover on LPG. 16 tons if it's on petrol...

Mind, that's based on the fuel economy I actually get out of them, and I don't drive the disco with quite as much right brick B)

8 tons of CO2 a year if I use the (300TDi) disco, 12.2 tons if I use the range rover on LPG. 16 tons if it's on petrol...

Mind, that's based on the fuel economy I actually get out of them, and I don't drive the disco with quite as much right brick B)

That should have been tonnes. Not quite so bad then :lol:

Think I might investigate that biodiesel place up in Rowley Regis...

I was surprised diesel seemed to generate worse co2 emissions than petrol

I wasn't - I had in mind that it did - but can't remember the exact chemistry behind it. That, of course, assumes that your diesel vehicle uses the same amount of fuel as your petrol one. In many cases the lower fuel consumption will more than offset the increased per-litre pollution.

Interesting thought...does that mean you can reduce your carbon emissions by tuning your engine to produce more CO instead of CO2? Bit of the puzzle missing, me thinks...

I reckon the future is V8s on bio-ethanol :D

reading a piece that say's LR have launched a pilot scheme to offset the carbon dioxide emissions of every vehicle it sells I found this link Climate Care. Now waiting for the fridge variant :ph34r:

Yup, from wot I heard it's gonna be like a tick box on the options list... LR will pay for your 1st years trees to offset the carbon produced. I was speeking to a trader at the weekend who said he'll probably follow suit providing his customers agree to pay for consecutive years.

Seems to be all the rage at the mo... but people like the "Woodland Trust" are gonna have to change their stance on this if it's gonna get anywhere. :angry:

Blimey, at this rate the whole country will be one vast woodland :D

Geoff - I think your figures are a bit out on the LPG. It should be similar a CO2 to that of Diesel & much cleaner on other factors.

see - http://www.boostlpg.co.uk/what_is/environment.htm

I was factoring in fuel consumption - the range rover (on LPG) averages 13-15mpg depending how I drive it. The discovery (on diesel) 30-35mpg. The figures are straight from the calculator LR90 posted a link too, so I don't know how accurate the figures behind it are.

Ah ok, thats true i suppose. If you use more LPG than Petrol the figures will be up a bit per mile. Still way way better on particulates & NOx though

Yep - much better for everyone in the vicinity of the vehicle, but still pretty lousy from a global warming point of view.

Biodiesel and similar is better for the global environment, but still kicks out nasty particulates and so on (I've an idea it's not too bad for NOx, and the particulates aren't as carcinogenic as those from mineral diesel?). I don't think there's a currently available fuel* which ticks all the boxes.

*By which I mean available as a practical everyday fuel for the man on the street to run his vehicle on.

I don't think there's a currently available fuel* which ticks all the boxes.

*By which I mean available as a practical everyday fuel for the man on the street to run his vehicle on.

I know power source that runs on commonly available plant matter & only outputs useful biomatter which roses can be grown from.

How many hp does a horse give anyway? :unsure:

Actually thats no good, I think i read that their farts also contribute to ozone depletion... :blink: