half shafts

series3_mad

Aint got the room for anything large diameter than stock as it rubs on the leaves on full articliation as it is.....

Might ty shoving some round bar down the middle of it at some point to beef it up........I just carry spare ones - far easier!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All series steering arms that I have seen have a press in swivel pin. I have heard that they can bend, even driving in soft sand but there were at least 3 different thickness steering arms since 1948 and I have never bent the series 3 ones, even with the extra leverage of portals. Series front axles with UJ's are junk. The halfshafts are not properly heat treated and you can cut through them with a bread knife. The UJ's are 2 15/16'' ,not even as strong as the propshaft UJ's at 3 3/16'' and subject to up to 4.7 times more torque. No way are they as strong as Stage 1 V8 cv's and axles which can also be fitted to series 2 or three vehicles.

I am not at work today, but I didn't think there was enough surface area on either the top or bottom of RangeRover outer swivel housings to drill and tap for series steering arms. I will check tomorrow.

Bill.