ride comfort, parabolic issues?

Landy-Novice

ok freezer, but will old man and monroe and the same effect as yours just minus the length as in a spring not a damper effect ???

Errr, what? They're dampers, that's what they do.

and would having f***ked rear chassis bushed be the/ one of the problems?

Well it ain't going to help, if one's gone the others may not be far behind either. Doubt a bush is going to make the difference from horse cart to bentley though.

"Errr, what? They're dampers, that's what they do". yes i no that but yours are more like a spring hence the strap rather than mine which are like a wet sponge :ph34r:

and when i fitted the parabolics, i had to use a 3ft crack bar to move all 4 shackles and the last 1 needed a ratchet strap aswell!!:( LN

I'm watching this with interest as i'll need to be putting some new shocks on to replace my worn out procomps. Are procomps really that bad as they do seem a reasonable price. I noticed rocky mountain supply them with a metal shield as per original landrover instead of the rubber boot or no shielding at all.

Fridge, you say the dampers can't be pushed back in by hand. Do they try to extend themselves? If this is the case would they assist in pushing the front suspension downwards as I find that leaf springs will happily move upwards but not droop very easily.

yes i no that but yours are more like a spring hence the strap

No they're not - they are just a long and slightly pressurised version of what you have. The strap is for fitting only, you cut it off once you've got thing bolted in.

The gas pressure is quite strong to a person (esp. a lanky streak such as myself, before anyone says it) but doesn't contribute greatly to the real loads of the suspension (eg 1/4 of a Landy resting on it / beating it against a speedbump at 30mph). It may push the spring out a little bit but probably not much when you're already at full stretch. A limiting factor of leafs (as researched back in the day by Nigel at Gon2far) is the twisting action along the length of the leaf, hence my Gon2far front spring mounts. I had revolvers for the rear but didn't fancy them reliability/stability wise on the trails I drive so sold them.

Here's my front mounts on a rare occasion I remembered to unlock them:

flex_log1.JPG

Alex - ProComps aren't bad for general use, they're very good value and do have a warranty. They aren't a high performance shock though and fade away quickly on rough tracks.

oh right, got you!:D and the gone to far mount are looong gone :( (did the research 12 months ago) but i did just find you on another forum :ph34r: on the same topic and somone said they not good on off road ability??? do the fronts make a real difference on/off road? WHEN UNLOCKED? :hysterical: LN

Gon2far may be long gone but the mounts aren't rocket surgery if someone wanted to make one, you just need to be confident competent in your welding.

"they not good off road ability" - Um, quarter past three... still a bit of work to do on the grammar then :P

The G2F mounts make no difference to anything when locked and do give the springs an easier time when unlocked, Nigel was achieving massive flex with his SIIa 109 and 88 (enough to embarrass most coilers) but you really need longer shocks too or they'll be the limiting factor.

competent? HAHA, you comedian. and im slightly dyslexic, what do you expect?:(

and at the moment my 88 is on eBay, (PLEASE GOD, LET IT SELL!! the love has died :() and a mate is selling a v8 :D:D defender what i want! but if i ever get another series, i will 'pimp' it completely :rolleyes: LN

Cheers for the info fridge.

There used to be pictures of a tray backed lightweight on gon2fars site which I used to love the look of but don't know what happened to these :-(

I think for my uses, may be down to only being used one day a month for trialling with fuel costs as they are :-(, the procomps will be my best option. I think I'll get the ones from RM as they'll have the steel shield and don't seem to be much more than from paddocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is 1966, and did not have seatbelts fitted when I first got it. It passed MOT for years before a new tester failed it. I appealed and lost. Post 65 needs front belts.

I also have para's and ES3000's. The ride is better than the old mil spec leafs, but its still choppy and crashes over bigger bumps. I have also managed to snap 2 parabolics whilst driving off road. I have just fitted new Britpart poly bushes and it has improved things, but still a choppy ride. Its the nature of the beast unfortunately.