Not really OT: steel framed garages

BogMonster

Next summer I'm going to be building a new garage. Yes it will have several Land Rovers living in it plus it will be my new workshop space, so it's not really OT :P

I'm toying with the idea of a steel framed/clad building rather than a timber framed building which is more normal here. Blocks are not an option due to high cost here - £6 per block!

Specwise it needs to fit in four vehicles (Defender 110 or equivalent length) and one side needs to take my boat when I need it to (5.8m RIB on trailer), so the size will be around 10m x 12m with two large roller doors in one of the short sides, doors will probably be a 3m x 3m aperture to get the boat inside. It will be sited in a windy place so needs to be pretty robust - think Scottish islands sort of climate.

Googling it there are dozens of suppliers, all seem to say much the same sort of thing, so I wondered what experience people on here had of any particular suppliers? The only 'different' one seems to be Miracle Span but I'm not convinced about the look of their buildings though I expect they are strong - they apparently use them in Antarctica and I know there are some here.

Thoughts please :)

We had a new building put up a couple of years ago to replace an old nissen hut, its approx 50ft by 30 ft with a large roller shutter door on one end.

we bought it from here http://www.capitalsteelbuildings.co.uk/Buildings.aspx. They dont tend to deal with the customer direct as they pass you onto a local company they sell through (they might deal direct if you export straight to the FI)

We decided that we would get them to build it (we did the base) as the price was right and we didnt have the time. That wont be practical for you in the Falklands, but it is a pretty easy build, and they do it with just a small access platform, so if you have acess to a telehandler or similar it would be fairly easy.

We use the building to store land rovers/machinery and as a workshop. Strength wise, its not strong enough to be used for something like grains storage without additional walls to hold the grain, but i would have thought plenty strong enough for the Falklands wind (I have been over 5 times so I know how windy it is!)

We are really pleased with it, and it is really light inside during the day without any lights on

will add a couple of pictures in a bit

Sam

Another vote here for Capital Steel Buildings, don't have any pics to hand but my shed is CSB and it was cheaper by far than even buying steel & cladding & knocking it up meself. Even with a ~4m wide roller shutter added it came in at £4400 delivered for an 8mx5m shed tall enough to get the 109 under the door.

The instruction manual was a bit out of date but it's just a big lego kit really so easy enough to work out. I'll post some shed pics if I get the chance.

Out of curiosity do these metal buildings get really hot in the summer and cold in the winter or do they have insulated panels?

You can get insulated (like a foam backing on the sheets) but it costs a lot and freight is prohibitive because it takes up 10x as much space as a stack of ordinary sheets.

The other thing is if you use a typical gas space heater for a long period you will get condensation on the inside = drips!

You can get insulated (like a foam backing on the sheets) but it costs a lot and freight is prohibitive because it takes up 10x as much space as a stack of ordinary sheets. ...

Looking at that from the other end of the telescope, - foam that takes up less space than normal sheets - do you use spray on foam out there?

Often used in the UK on the inside of steel canal boats, when built to live in, the finished thickness is (I think) 50mm normally, or 75mm for those who must be 'better' than standard.

This is the page of a boat build blog I've seen it mentioned recently - http://nbsiskin.com/?paged=2

The appropriate text reads "Brian from Cosyhomes is coming to spray Egypt and Admiral. I’m going to get him to sprayfoam my tanks at the same time so that they can be fitted before the rest of the spray foam is done." ... "Brian sprays up the tanks. I’ve never seen this done before and it’s fascinating. He seems just to spray a light coat over the metal and then woof it expands out and the jobs done.". There is a not-very-informative picture.

If you go backwards from that page you will see they line the shell with wood battening, which will later have panelling screwed to them, but the space between the battens will be filled with expanded foam.

One not-so-obvious gotcha is that over time the foam reacts with the normal insulation on domestic wiring, so it's a fail point on boats if the wiring is not in it's own conduit tube, to barrier the wire from the foam.

HTH

Here's some photies:

Concrete base laid, shed delivered (the pallet & roller you can see on the lawn... that's it!)

post-21-0-82211100-1308095861_thumb.jpg

Going up - mostly done in fact, hole for the pedestrian door not cut yet:

post-21-0-57567400-1308095868_thumb.jpg

Inside view - all done & pallet racking up, the racking made a huge difference to the amount of available space, it quite literally holds tonnes of stuff.

post-21-0-72151800-1308095875_thumb.jpg

View the other way with no 109 in - roller shutter door, roof lights, lodger's moped and other assorted cr*p. There were a few spare panels so they're stood up at the end.

post-21-0-18203600-1308095886_thumb.jpg

The roof panels come with fuzzy felt glued to the back to prevent condensation, kit includes guttering, trim, thousands of nuts bolts and screws, silicone sealant, six keys for the door, etc. etc. Yes it does get a bit warm in summer and cool in winter, but it's a million times better than having to work out in the rain and keep the welder in the dining room :ph34r:

£4400 is a good price for that. I'm a fan of wooden buildings, but that looks really nice...and probably less of a fire hazard! :)

The price is what swung it - I just couldn't get anywhere near them with DIYing it out of metal, wood, brick, etc. - you might do it by scouring eBlag/Gumtree for second hand stuff but then you have the headache of putting it all together.

Well my plan was to commandeer a friend with a mobile sawmill and mill it all up myself to a design, which would be cheap (as the wood would be v. cheap) but having seen your nice steel shed for just over £4k it makes me wonder if it's worth the bother. I'd save a couple of grand but I'd have the hassle of cutting it all, plus having to design/build my own doors/frames etc.

Food for thought :)