worrizit?

dollythelw

the blueness was an all over occurance on this wagon, its a Russian car from the NightWolves club, its a bit tasty but Im interested if this is a standard Toyota part and what was it powered by... could be water pump..

:ph34r:

hydraulic fan. I saw that in the last RFC on a toyota based vehicle to cool rear mounted rad. Fan was of toyota hiace van i believe. Powered by powersteering circuit.

I am one of the few believers (the only one?) of good old viscous fan though but what do I know...

Daan

I am one of the few believers (the only one?) of good old viscous fan though but what do I know...

Daan

i even missed the viscous unit out, bolted straight onto w/pump, if the engine is running then the fan is turning, one less thing to worry about imho

Daan your not alone :)

I've purchase 3 viscous units in my time

v deep water crossings appear to ruin the bearings it would seem

as soon after a bout of deep wading the bearing develops play

the latest(brand new} seems to be lasting well so far

2nd brand new one I purchased though :(

I cant have rads in normal places so conventional drive is out for me Daan, interesting idea about spurring off the PAS pump, Ive got 12ltrs/min so plenty to spare :)

is it from a Hiace then??? mind you if its spurred from the PAS circuit there must be a flow control valve or the PAS would have a bad day when you turn the wheel?

Daan your not alone :)

I've purchase 3 viscous units in my time

v deep water crossings appear to ruin the bearings it would seem

as soon after a bout of deep wading the bearing develops play

the latest(brand new} seems to be lasting well so far

2nd brand new one I purchased though :(

I am still on the original (300 tdi) version. It works well, for back up I drilled the boltheads in the water pump and the fan, so you can lockwire them in case it stops working.

Daan,

No your not alone, after having electric fans on my 200 Tdi, I've gone back to a viscous, although I've fitted a 300 Tdi one as it has more blades, although you have to cut them down slightly and a huge viscous unit...and so I'm told more reliable one :unsure:

and the main reason it only cost £5 from E-Blag :lol:

good to know I am not alone....

Dolly, I dont think parallel would work, as the oil would choose the way of the least resistance which normally is the box, untill you turn the wheel, in which case its the fan. So none of it would work anymore. Or did you have something more clever in mind. Im sure you have.

Daan

just a flow restrictor so the fan sees a constant flow - maybe that would work?, put a solenoid in line and hook that into a conventional thermostat - I like the idea of waterproof fan power as opposed to having to mount mine at jumbo jet cruising height, what do you think?

I am still on the original (300 tdi) version. It works well, for back up I drilled the boltheads in the water pump and the fan, so you can lockwire them in case it stops working.

4.2 v8

I fitted a new one when the engine was fitted four years ago and I still have the old one as a spare

The RR only had 50k on the I got the engine from.

Still good as new.

i went leccy fan a while ago. then threw it all away & fitted the proper fan again. works much better with less hassle.

as an aside, my old '78 MG went leccy fan for a while & had no end of problems with fuel vapourisation in warm weather. switching back to a 'real' fan has cured that. i guess the constant draft cools the carbs a bit.

well i remembered to ask at work for you. been told the coaches have twin rotor pumps, so there is effectivly one pump for steering & one for the fan.

****roen shatxo have leccy PS pumps - hide one inside to run the fan? if you cant get enough belts on the engine of course.

Guest diesel_jim

I reckon it's a wind powered hydraulic winch pump....

Gotta be faster than a milemarker!!! :D

I suppose you could paint it orange, stand Colin in front if it, let him start spouting and run several winches off of it! :lol::lol:

not sure I'd like it in series :( , relatively straightforward to give it temperature control though, If my PAS fails cooling wouldnt be my biggest prob :huh:

With normal pas, I would suggest run the hyd fan in series after the steering box.

Would need to increase the pressure to suit the increased pressure drop.

A solenoid operated direction control valve, controlled by a temp sensor, in the line between the steering box and fan motor, would take care of temp control.