What are these halfshafts

JST

Other than not fitted/dirty etc etc!!!

What are they off? rangie/disco?

firstly ones that dont fit mine, 10 spline, 1 piece, sort of small mushroom head. marked HRC2494

notthisoneprofilesmallSmall.jpg

notthisonenos.jpg

NotthisoneSmall.jpg

2ndly the ones i have fitted, not sure as never had them out but guess at 10 spline single piece? marked R171 ST

TheseonesSmall.jpg

onesfittedSmall.jpg

1st one looks like a Discovery part, 571882 To (VIN) JA 032850 10 SPLINE rh & 571883 lh, hrc2494 is most likely a blank pre machined casting reference number.

other pics look like these parts for a 90,

RH - 24 spline shaft From (V) LA 930456 FTC3270 & LH FTC3271, All other earlier 90 shafts have seperate drive end caps/flanges.

hth

Ralph,

thank you. the latter ones are rear and are fitted to a 90 but its a newer disc axle on an old vehicle i am trying to work out what they are. i had presumed 1 piece and guessed 10 spline but your analysis looks right.

so what age are they? i am trying to guess the age of the axle so can get replacement halfshafts, is it pre 300tdi?

If it's a disc braked rear axle they came into use for the 1994 model year on a L reg IIRC, some of the last 200Tdi 90/110 had rear disc during the production line changeover to 300Tdi vehicles.

Edited by western

the unfitted ones dont look like disco/RR shafts too me. the mushroom shafts on my disco (same as early 10spline RR) have much fatter flanges, more like the 2nd set of shafts. also there is a shiney bit on one of the shafts, probably for an oilseal? my shafts dont have them either.

the unfitted ones dont look like disco/RR shafts too me. the mushroom shafts on my disco (same as early 10spline RR) have much fatter flanges, more like the 2nd set of shafts. also there is a shiney bit on one of the shafts, probably for an oilseal? my shafts dont have them either.

Almost positive, ones not fitted are early disco. Ones that are fitted are early rangie IE- 2 door sort of vintage ( just a note i have 3 sets of rear early rangie shaft if you need replacements)

Hope this helps ASH

cheers Dave

so therefore which of your drive memebers would i need if fitting your shafts to replace the RR Classic/early disco, 10 spline? 5806 or 5806M? i guess the 5806M ones?