Breaking Drive Flange Studs

zim

Evening,

I've been having a problem of breaking the 5 drive flange bolts in my front hubs.

The first time it happened i put it down to me being a muppet and not fitting them properly.

But when it happened again (this time both wheels) i thought something must be wrong ?

And yes, i have the correct flange and bolts. m10 12.9 capheads.

It's strange - i've got a problem with the front but the back has been fine. Same flanges and capheads. The only difference is the front has a spacer to allow the Kam shaft to fit properly. I'm putting this down to be the problem :unsure:

So...

I now have 10 bolts - the imperial pattern has been drilled out and tapped.

The drive flange was too hard to drill, or i'd have done them all as M12.

post-9903-0-84596000-1308166229_thumb.jpg post-9903-0-94791100-1308166246_thumb.jpg

Gordon

I think the spacer is the problem. We used to service a series 2a petrol 88" and that for years had been needing new flange gaskets at every service/MOT due to them leaking as the bolts had loosened. When i had to do the job i found spacers the thickness of the drive flanges. I checked the shafts and they were std length/spline, spacers chucked and a replacement set of flange bolts and the problem was sorted for good.

Gordon

As I said to you - M10 are the wrong threads on a long stub wide axle, its a UNF, and also

the M10s are too short, add the width of the spacer to the length of the M10s 50/55mm Fromk memory, and use the

corect stud PCD patern, both look as though they will fit but 1 is right and 1 is wrong

Imperial axle UNF thread may be screwed having run M10s in them, so you may need to replace, try retapping 1st

Steve (off road Toad) may be about and recall what the lengths / sizes are of the wide axle UNF bolts, but thats yer prob

chap

Nige

You don't say what vehicle or what year it is? So not stating if they should be unf or metric thread? And 5? The picture shows 10, plus the hubs must have been drilled and tapped to suit, add the fact that they are cap head which weren't standard fitment which means they were provided for that purpose. So sorry but i'm not sure what your asking or what i'm answering???

I have wide hubs on the front with the same drive flanges and spacers...

first the PCD is oh so slightly different to the narrow hubs.

And i also had a problem with the flange bolts becoming loose and breaking, so I found a pair of (never raced or rallied :) ) wide hubs fitted these along with the genuine part (even came in a land rover packet) flange bolts which look weedy but are 10.9's.

12 months on it all seems to good.