Which external EFI fuel pump for 3.9 ?

lansalot

Can anyone recommend a nice simple external fuel pump suitable for a megasquirted 3.9 efi ? I'm going the swirl-pot in the engine-bay route because the fuel tank is going to be custom and it'll be easier to sort out with an external pump for that to feed the pot, and then on to the swirl pot for a good pressurising and burning (I reckons). Plus, lean-angles might mean less chance of starvation in the swirl and it'll save me having to ask the fabricator to baffle the tank etc. Trying to keep it simple.

Oh, and the guy will probably know.. but any recommendations for hose-connector diameters so I don't restrict "things" ? I guess I'll go by the fuel-pump requirements.. when I get one.

Anyone?

Might you be thinking a bit to hard about this one?

An efi pump is a high pressure pump so no amount of swirl pot on the engine side of the pump will make any difference.

The efi setup returns excess fuel to the tank so you shouldn't worry about flow rate reduction through joints.

Importantly efi pumps are push, ie they don't suck. If you want the pump in the engine bay you will need to feed it with a lp pump.

As for pump any 2 litre engine pump will be fine for a 3.9, or you could have a look through demon tweeks for a motorsport variety if you fancy an new one.

Have a looksee here at the end,

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=68748

I've been rethinking my swirlpot arrangement and have canvassed some opinions on pumps. I have an SU AZX1310 LP pump feeding the swirlpot but previous to that a Facet red top. I seem to have fuel issues to resolve so the recommendations in the thread are working suggestions

I had a Holden (Australian) external pump down by tank , but changed to intank pump on my 110csw due to noise (whine from pump) . I will try and find my pump if you want to go that route? BTW no swirl pot needed its in tank that anti surge/starve pick up area thats important.

Thanks guys - the reason I had thought of the swirl-pot route wasn't so much to prevent fuel starvation, but because I plan on getting a custom tank made to take up the space between the roll cage bars in the back, that will also go down the sloped area of the rear of the cab - and that will mean that I'll be unlikely to be able to find a standard in-tank pump to fit it. I'm hoping that I can get my 10 gallons taking up as little room in that truck bed as possible. So it's not really that I'm concerned about starvation, more that I'd like to move the high-pressure pumping engine-side and use a simple external low-pressure getting it to the pot.

Was aware that starvation in the tank is also a factor, but with a decent size pot I'd like to think I'll be the right way up again before the supply runs dry ;-)

Think I'll speak to the fabricator tomorrow, see if he has any suggestions. He's pretty experienced and might have a good idea I hadn't thought of when he sees it...

Thanks for all the advice so far folks - I'll probably be back ;-)

Swirl pot is worthwhile to avoid starvation and possibly started in car racing with high 'G's.

In your case I'm guessing it will be lean angles so you first need to consider how long you think you will maintain that angle. If you think you will be there a while then a tall slim pot of sufficient capacity will be required.

If you are having the tank fabricated and I believe already mentioned the tank will be tapered at the bottom then it should be only a step further to fabricate the tank with a pointed bottom which should improve your chances of always picking up fuel with the LP pump.

JIC -6 should be the largest pressure side pipe you need although it may help if the LP side was slightly larger.

Steve