Transfer case wont go into any gear

eastw77

Hi, I have been having problems with my transfer case jumping out of low range diff lock. I tried to engage low range yesterday and when I moved the lever forward was unable to engage it. There were no unusual noises etc but it didn't really feel like there was anything there. I tried to put it back into hi range and again nothing. Now the transfer case won't engage hi or low range and will not engage difflock. It basically feels like is stuck in neutral although I can move the selector shaft to any position it just springs back to neutral. Can anyone offer any advice on what the problem could be?

Many thanks,

Ian

could be a jammed linkage as it sits outside of the box, it can be seen from under the vehicle, get someone to try to move the lever while you have a good look or possibly the shaft below the transfer lever is seized, had this on a hire 110, wouldn't move from high to low, it was stiffer than a stiff thing.stripped it off & cleaned, well greased 7 refitted it then worked very well.

Well I just took the cover off the bottom of the TC and it is indeed stuck in neutral! Moving the selector lever does not move the hi/low selector sleeve on the hi/low hub so there is something wrong in the linkages somwhere. Balls!

Take a look at page 372 of the link Western gave you. If grub-screw (9) has loosened in Selector Finger (10), this assembly will be slipping when cross-shaft (11) rotates, thus you'll get no movement applied to hi-lo selector shaft (7). I can't image this coming loose though, I've rebuilt three LT-230's and NEVER been able to get this grubscrew undone!

Ray.

is the high low lever really slack when selecting low or high ?

ive had quite a few transfer boxes when the locating grub screw has come undone in the top of the t/box

but if the selector is firm i highly doubt its that.

I found the problem the linkage had sheared off and was flapping around in thin air. I couldn't see it from underneath but when I removed the transmission tunnel cover I could see and managed to get it out and weld it back together. Easy fix :D :D :D