defender cv joint

I need to replace a cv joint on my ninety,all I can get today is britpart.I would like to do the job tomorrrow but I can wait if I need to.Does anyone have experience of britpart cv joints? I would steer clear of the name normally but if they are ok then I'll go ahead. Many thanks.

Ashcrofts did a test on them. The data is on their site somewhere, and they performed quite well. Last time I looked at them, they were less than £40, compared to £160 when I asked at a main stealer.

Depends if you are just driving around normally or entering winch challenges with 37" boggers...

I know Nigel comes out in a rash at the mention of Britpart (rightly so in some cases) but i have had some quite good qaulity stuff from them (i know that will be contoversial). I had the pleasure of fitting their complete CV kits to a hard working discovery commercial a few months back and i have to say that the qaulity looked good and the kit was comprehensive and everything fitted perfectly :blink:

Given the choice i would choose Bearmach though.

Steve

I picked up some new genuine ones for I think it was £80 last August. It was either Brit-car, craddocks or rimmerbros... I can't remeber which, I'll dig down my invoices and check. I'm not a fan of Britpart stuff, I've tried and there stuff just doesn't cut it, maybe they do sell some good stuff, but I'm not wasteing any more of my money finding out whats good and whats not.

and now for the real world experience:

Britpart CVs fitted for 3years, 30k miles. Tuned 300tdi with enthusiastic driver. Off road and on road, towing some seriously large things and taken part in the odd traffic light grand prix.

Not broken either. :ph34r:

When I was looking for CV's I'm sure I found a post on here about them. From what I remeber the post talked about Britpart CV's been a bit of a lottery. Some people had good service out of them and others didn't (a common story) that i think is the problem with the brand. If you're willing to play that perticular lottery than go for it. If you have the time, workshop and tools to change the cv's out easily after they break after a tootle to the shops then fair enough. I don't so went for the Genuine option and fingers crossed wont have a problem with them for some miles to come (at about 6k just now after 8 months).

Everyone who knows me knows I hate Britpart with a passion, but I have had no trouble at all with their CVs on my 300Tdi RRC. I remeber reading the same Ashcroft test results.

The thing to remeber about Britpart is that they are a wholesaler - they don't manufacture anything but just buy-in. Some of their products are OEM, some are btter than OEM and some is plain rubbish, but the problem lies in knowing which lines are good. I don't have the breadth of experience to know which Britpart products are safe to buy, so now keep away from them, but my experiences with their CVs and wind screen washer pumps are good.

I got a cv joint kit from britpart, fitted it last summer and did 10,000 miles with no problems. The only reason I don't have it in anymore is because I have now fitted later axles.

I bought the whole kit that includes all seals, grease etc and found that everything fitted well...although this is one of the very few times i've been pleased with a britpart product!

One further thing to consider, though, is the materials and surface treatment used. The Bripart CVs did well in Ashcrofts tests as they were static tested to destruction, showing the material was strong enough to tolerate very high torque loadings. The test is limited, though, because it does not show whether the materials used are reasonable resistant to normal wear. It is possible that the materials have nor been sufficiently case hardened, which would increase their torque capacity but greatly reduce their wear resistance. On the other hand, they may have used a decent quality of steel and correctly hardened the casing, though that then begs the question of why other units that handles the torque test less well are so much dearer.

Still, as such a low comparative price, you could afford several Britpart CVs if they do wear quicker than they should, and at least you don't need to worry about them disintegrating in the short term...

The yield stress is a property found in the material of the CV, but the design is also a key factor. IIRC my CVs had a slightly different design to the original GKN's that came out. Whether this is to cope with a slightly lesser material who knows? But I will vouch for them and how hard they've been used. I pulled one out a few weekends ago and it looked as good as when it was fitted. No sign of the balls hammering the casing, or the splines being hammered over. The drive flange wasn't in such good condition :unsure: