What Have I Broken Now :(

geoffbeaumont

It's still a bit quiet in the Range Rover forum, so I'll try in here - DEANO doesn't reckon anything I've done it likely to have affected the timing unless the pin was already gone and I've just displaced it a bit (in which case I've had a very lucky escape not doing it with the engine running).

Just started the RR up after putting all the crank pulleys and things back - sounds like one of those nasty oil burners :(

The noise seems to be coming from the top of the block, and sounds like a louder version of the noisy tappets on my old car. Timing?

I've had the crank pulley apart mounting a trigger wheel for the distributorless ignition, but all appears fine in that department - belts are all fine, the trigger wheel isn't fouling anything and there's no abnormal noises from that area.

I've had the plugs out and been turning the engine over from the crank pulley by hand, but that shouldn't have done any harm?

What should I be looking at? Any idea if it's likely to be driveable or not (yes I know, kind of hard to say without hearing it)?

Oh - one more thing I've just thought of. Before I refitted the plugs and started her up, I cut the fuel and disconnected the coil and turned her over on the starter motor to double check the trigger wheel wasn't fouling anything - there was no tapping noise when I did that. Hmm. Ignition timing? Haven't changed it, but I cleaned up the earth strap while I was under there, so it might actually have a good enough spark now to cause problems if it was out anyway.

:angry:

Not ignition timing - tried it again with fuel and then fuel and ignition off. It's still there, just not that easy to hear at that speed over the starter motor.

I'm wondering if it was there before - I've suspected for a while that there was more wrong than just the ignition, but the ignition's made it impossible to diagnose anything else. At least if that's the case I probably won't do any more damage driving it :unsure:

So all you've done is remove the crank pulley?

Unless you've moved the dizzy I can't see how you'd have altered the timing - the dizzy is driven from the end of the camshaft which is driven by the timing chain which is inside the front cover... :huh:

Having recklessly been out and driven the thing, it's not anything new - but it's a lot more obvious now I've got a decent spark.

On the plus side, I reckon it's been like it for a while so either:

a) it's nothing particularly serious

b) I've already done all the damage

Just got to figure out how the hell to get to the bottom of what's causing it