Which Rear Propshaft For 1995 Disco?

chrisstevenson

Hi,

Just about to set off on a 4000 mile trip round Europe and all of a sudden tonight noticed a slight rumble from the rear prop on the overrun, I think I'm gonna carry a spare prop for this trip. However there appear to be 2 props fitted to the Disco, one is nice and cheap at £65 + VAT (FRC8387) and these were fitted to early and VA onwards vehicles, but for my MA chassis Paddocks website lists FTC3705 at over £125 + VAT!!!! Can I fit the FRC8387 instead or are the diff and transfer case flanges different on this vehicle? HELP!!!

Chris,

FTC8387 have a U/J at each end (200 TDI & V8) and FTC3705 (300 TDi) have a U/J at the gearbox end and a large rubber doughnut at the diff.

If you're in need of FTC3705 then I have a spare up here that needs a new doughnut but is okay apart from that. I could post it too you, just depends on when you're leaving as it'll take until maybe Monday to get South!!

yes you can replace it but you need to change the drive flange on the diff end this has a guide inplace covering the nut on the flange

and is a bstid to remove requiring a slide hammer and some heat to clear the loctite.

why not just buy a UJ and rubber doughnut and carry them as spares.

the rubber one is dead easy to c/o the U/j can be replaced byt any garage or carefull use of a hammer/socket best if you can find a vice.

I would change them before leaving and carry the two pieces mentioned above.

There is a new part number for the coupling kit which is TVF something so probably yes, I can't check at the moment but that is probably right. Just a superceded number AFAIK.

I would be inclined to fit the UJ at each end type, this is fitted to some later V8 Disco's I have seen a 1998 model one with a twin UJ rear prop (factory fitted) though my own 1996 model had a doughnut.

If you're on a tight time limit, shove on a new rubber donut (Rotoflex) coupling for now to get you on your way.

You can swap to the traditional UJ at either end type prop, but as Tony has said, the three bolt flange for the rubber donut can be/will be a complete B'stard to remove. Ask me how I know! Sods law dictates if you've a ferry to catch, yours will be a nightmare to change. To save yourself any headaches, change like for like for now.

If you do upgrade your prop at a later date, there is a prop flange kit available with all the parts included. If you manage to rob a flange off a 2nd hand diff, remember to fish out the thick spacer that lives tucked away behind the prop-flange.

Kev

What about the UJs? Can these be done at the side of the road???! £35 for the parts V £145 for the prop makes me more inclinded to run it until the UJ is totally FUBAR - but only if its realativly easy to sway both the UJ and the rotoflex... talk about a gamble! Youve convinced me on the rotoflex but I've never done a UJ before.

To swap UJ is a trickier job. Easy when you now how-not so easy when you don't. Definitely not one for the side of the road. Essentials are a vice, circlip pliers, big hammer and a grease gun. Conveniently for you, there's a piece of swapping a UJ in the latest Oct issue of LRW.

Decided to go for both, new prop and the parts to repair mine, if I dont use the prop I can take it back for a refund. Excellent! On another matter (slightly paranoid I know but that what happend when you spend so much time reading about other peoples landrover problems) .... if a front CV joint clicks very slightly on full lock when reversing is this anything to worry about or fairly normal, is it likely to suddenly disintegrate or progressivly get worse?