gruntus

Alloy Wheel Refurb

Gents,

I obtained a set of Predator alloys for my 90 that need a bit of a refurb.

Im working on a budget so forking out oodles of money to get them back to original isnt an option being a tight git! :D

Quite a bit of the laquer and paint is off and bare alloy showing so I am thinking of either using a chemical solution to remove the paint or possibly bead blasting?

Has anyone done either of the above and can they provide advice or options on the possibilities out there?

I dont mind putting in some elbow grease but a pour on solution would obviously be better, I obviously dont want to go in all guns blazing and then see the alloy disapear in front of my eyes hence the request for advice! :P

As always thanks in advance for your advice!

G :)

I've used methylene chloride for stripping paint. I have it a dip tank covered with a layer of water to prevent evaporation.

Use a light abrasive grit to remove corrosion and any paint/lacquer that doesn't strip off with chemicals and then bead blast to get a satin finish prior to polishing and buffing.

If you want a paint finish just use grit (aluminium oxide is favourite) to leave a rough surface for the primer to key to.

I have done RRC alloys in the past but not for meany years.

I only rubbed them down with assorted levels of grit and filled them then spray them with a air gun I find thats the easiest, quickes and cheapest way if you going to off road them again anyway. like spraying a panel or somthing used good quality paint and laquer and the work is in the prep.

I never realy mastered the two tone alloys when I was never happy with them my mates were always chuffed when I did theres for them.

I didn't bother grit blasting them as alloy is so soft I always thought it would do more damage then good.

I'm no expert I just couldn't afford to have them profesionaly made good so did it myself we are going back a good fifteen years so as with most thinngs it was more trial and error..

You're OK to grit blast if you keep the pressure down and don't concentrate the blast in one spot.

Some modern alloys have very hard primers and stripping chemically is really the only way to go with them.

Thanks Chaps,

Are there any other safe, off the shelf "chemical solutions" that work?

The forums are a little lean on things that are deemed "safe", some people user Nitromors but I dont want to take the risk on the spinning bits that keep me safely on the road! :D

If anyone knows of any cheapish bead blasters in the central belt (a long shot I know) that would also be appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best.

G :)